1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Measuring Eye to Eye?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by melkman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. melkman

melkman Member

when measuring your shock, do you measure to the outside of the eyes or inside? thanks.

and if anyone knows what should the stock length of a 2007 gsxr 600 be?

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Center of the eye to center of the eye.

3. wera_123

wera_123 Well-Known Member

If the bolt holes are the same size, measure from the outside of one hole to the inside of the other hole and that will give you center to center:up:

4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

+1

I lay out some paper and dip the shock mountin bolts in grease. Then I lay the shock on the paper and use the grease on the bolts to mark the paper. Then I measure center to center.

As the year goes on I typically just use my adjustment notes to figure out what length I have at any given time. In the offseason I remove the shock to get an accurate measure again.

5. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Attach two lasers to eye holes.
    Turn off lights.
    Have friend wearing night vision goggles walk to the other side of room.
    Measure distance between dots.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

LOL overkill !

7. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

The 750 is ~315mm, not 100% sure the 600 is the same but I believe it is.

8. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

can anyone confirm the length for the 600?

9. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

Same as 750, I measure at 317 mm but that's eyeballing it

10. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

I believe the rear shock is 324mm

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

What's the recommended shock length after flushing the front forks with the upper triple?

12. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

:stupid: exactly where my bike is at now, i just need to figure out the rear

13. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Measure outer-outer, then measure inner-inner. Average those and you have center-center.

14. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Thermosman has it listed on my paperwork as 324mm on an Ohlins TTX for my Gsx-R 600. I back that down a bit because I run 190 rear tires instead of 180 and have Attack triple trees. Thats with my forks flush with the triples.

15. gixxer357

gixxer357 Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    06/07 GSXR 600/750 OEM rear shocks are 315mm eye-to-eye. If someone comes up with something different you are measuring wrong.

16. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

how much is backing down a little bit? i also run a 190 rear also

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

190 rear I run 325mm flush at the triples. Matt Kent (Goodmatt) runs about the same except I think he has his forks 3mm below the triples with extenders and some super secret good shimming done. Wanna chime in here Matt? :D

18. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

Don't forget the TTX has a pretty strong topout spring (if thats what youre measuring) and you have to bottom that out by stretching the shock whilst measuring.

19. craigcoble2000

craigcoble2000 Well-Known Member

I run a 180 rear....and 324mm is what I have seen. Also, the front forks should be measured from the TOP of the BOTTOM triple clamp to the middle of the front axle.....it should be 510mm.

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yes. I will generally measure one side from the top then match the other side on the bottom.