1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When it rains...

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathMagnet, Aug 19, 2017.

1. DeathMagnet

DeathMagnet Life behind bars...

Noob here...Looking for concencus, when it rains, is there such a thing as rain gear or you just get wet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Both.

There is rain gear and some of it works pretty well (the clear stuff you see GP riders using, someone will know specific brands). But overall you'll always get wet. Don't use anything too loose, it'll flap and eventually tear which means garbage on the track.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I wear a Teknic rain jacket and just let the bike's fairings keep the bulk of the wet off my legs.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You asking about on track or on the street?

5. DeathMagnet

DeathMagnet Life behind bars...

Track. On the street I ride an adventure bike and wear full Gortex so I never have to think about if it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got a few bucks check out the RS Taichi one piece race rain suit. Full suit with cut outs for knee sliders and flex panels at the knees. Alpinestars make a two piece suit that should work. Spidi (i think) used to make one of those jackets that covers from your crotch up with long sleeves.

7. I've used the clear rain suits before. But you still end up getting wet, and you get hot as hell (especially if it stops raining and the sun comes out real quick).

My advice would be to have a spare suit and gloves, and then just get wet. It's just water.

Along those lines, make sure your backup/rain gear is just as good as your primary shit. I've never understood the logic behind people saying "eh, I'll make this my rain suit/gloves" (because they are torn or some shit). I've even heard people say "I don't want to wear my D-Air suit in the rain, I don't want to mess it up or worry about fixing it after it deploys". WTF is that shit?

You are more likely to crash in the rain, so why wouldn't you wear the best shit?

SundaySocial, britx303 and Razr like this.
  8. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Yep. A Hang Dryer in the trailer helps too.

9. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep! What chaotic oomlow('merican spelling) said......just get wet dag gone it,and wear solid gear for the wet since you have a higher chance of crashing.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Crashing in the wet doesn't necessarily tear up leathers. I've gone down in excess of 100+ mph in the wet...leathers were fine, structurally. There was very light cosmetic scuffing.

11. IMO, you have a higher chance of breaking a collarbone in the wet.

Most lowsides in the dry occur while you are already at or near max lean angle. But in the wet, you are more likely to lose the front earlier, as you are adding lean angle...which results in you being slammed down on your side, from damn near vertical.

When watching rain races online, it seems like 1 out of 3 crashes are very early, right at the moment of tip-in, and the front suddenly tucks under with no warning (from too much brake pressure).

If someone has a D-Air suit, I would damn sure wear it in the rain just for that reason.

pscook likes this.
  12. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I don't think that's the case.
    Rain=more crashes but easier crashes.
    Speeds and friction are reduced, and that same lack of friction that puts you on your ass easier also makes you slide nicely.
    My experience was fewer and less severe injuries in the rain.
    But I do agree with the no rain suit opinion.
    Loose fitting suits can bunch up in a slide and make you tumble.
    Tumbling will break a collar bone.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The best way to keep from getting wet at the race track is to park you and your shit in the trailer when it rains.

14. I love riding in the rain. I don't wear one of those over suit poncho things, they're annoying as shit to me. The only thing that sucks is water all over your visor, I've been using the Rain-X meant for plastic on the inside and out and it's worked pretty damn well but I might try tear-offs next year with the rain-x on those.

15. Only thing I do different in the rain is put on a speedo underneath (vs commando). Just in case you crash and there is a big puddle on the outside of the track.

16. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The only time I ever won 3 races in a single day was in the pouring rain at Roebling Road.

The tar snakes were VERY entertaining. :eek:

17. Arai anti fog thingy and rain x for plastic (Bruce Porter told me what to do so I obviously listened). You can use rain x on tear offs as well, I've done that on dirt bike goggles and it worked very well.

18. Next to your vagina?

pscook likes this.
  19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Me, too...except for the water that finds its way up the backside of my legs. How does that happen?

20. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

+ Agree with losing the front under braking. Just not much feedback available in the wet.
    If you get greedy with the throttle coming off the corner, you MIGHT get away with it, although you will probably have to have your leathers cleaned anyways, so who cares if they are a little wet?
    When racing in the rain, duct tape the top of the visor to seal it, and tape a small length of tubing between the visor and the chin bar to keep it open just enough to keep it clear. Got the tip many years ago from Dave Roper.