1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When do you know if you need air bag suspension when towing?

Discussion in 'General' started by sbk1198, Apr 21, 2019.

1. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

have a set of timbren's for our 2017 2500 for heavier trailering. i remove them when we dont need them. rough ride when empty, and you hit a larger bump. https://timbren.com/

Ski

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    ducnut likes this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Do the Timbrens come with an optional spacer that can be removed if you wan't to increase the engagement distance?

The Sumo Springs come with a spacer that i removed so that the axle still has about 1.5-2 inches of clearance before it hits the stops, so going around town I barely notice them at all. Only time I feel them is slower speeds over speed bumps, and even then it's barely noticeable. Huge difference when towing with a larger load, though.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Most of the sets do, yes. I have timbrens on all of my trucks, they are cheap and work well. Its a KISS solution. Air bags are nice but its another thing you have to fuck with and more shit to break. You might feel them on a larger jounce but other then that never know they are there. The problem is the general public bitching about how a truck should ride like a car and be able to haul anything you can hitch it to.

sbk1198 likes this.
  4. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

My truck is slammed with a static drop. Even with a c-notch in the frame I've got like 4-5" of travel in the rear. Fine for unloaded, but with any load it wouldn't work. Put the helper bags in and wow what a difference. The more weight I put in back and resulting higher pressure I run the bags at, the softer and nicer the rear rides. I can haul more then I could stock now. I've had them for 13yrs now and replaced the bags once a couple years ago. I didn't have an onboard air system for at least the first 10yrs either.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I have the Airlift Ride Control bags with the Smart Air auto ride-height controller and compressor. I set up the system with a toggle switch, so I can turn it off when not needed. This system is rated to 2K pounds and works great. My truck sits level, no matter, and rides great, as well. I use an Andersen WD hitch on one of my trailers and only have it tensioned enough to stop porpoising and have the hitch height set for the trailers to pull level, as they should be. I mounted the compressor inside my spare tire, to provide protection from any debris. I highly recommend all the products I’ve mentioned.

sbk1198 likes this.
  6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

the timbrens i have are one height. you have some "wiggle room" but, you are on the spring sooner than i would like, on our rough michigan roads, when not loaded. its not a cadillac, gotta give something up for larger haul capacities. ski