1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best way to hold the bike with the forks off

Discussion in 'Tech' started by vini, Sep 17, 2011.

1. vini

vini Well-Known Member

I don't have a pin style front fork stand and the forks need redone and I don't trust anyone around here so the have to go somewhere else. How does everyone store the bike with them off its going to have to sit on stands of somesort for a few weeks. Can you use a jackstand under the bike with the rear wheel on the stand any help would be great.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

suspend the bike from the rafters with tie down straps. you could put some jack stands under the motor in a couple spots, but that is pretty risky stuff risking that i could topple over.

3. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

A frame

ladder

Attached Files:

4. HiSpeed48

HiSpeed48 Well-Known Member

^ creative :up:

5. sowega

sowega #710

Go buy a pit bull stand.

6. XACT-Man

XACT-Man Not that fast....

Just forks out, front triple stand^ triple off too, ladder idea looks pretty good!

7. L8RSK8R

If you're concerned with the bike taking up space, do as above. The ladder setup takes up twice as much space if not more.

8. Daniel06

Daniel06 Well-Known Member

Jack stands under the frame sliders.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

couple eyebolts in the ceiling with some tie downs are the "cheapest" but not portable.
    Next cheapest and portable would be an old engine crane.
    Surely someone in your neck of the woods has a loaner pitbull new front you could rent.

10. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Ditto. It works best.

11. MELK-MAN

"works best" provided you don't have kids walking around, or nosey nighbors that could bump into it. You would need BIG jack stands to suport under the frame sliders. Not-so safe imho but it's your bike.. not mine.

12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

150 for a pitbull newfront stand, you will use it over and over again.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Jack stands under the frame sliders, you might have to stack a brick or 2 under them to get them up high enough.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

That's the cleanest garage ever.

15. MELK-MAN

no shit!! even the bugs take thier shoes off when then crawl in..!

16. vini

vini Well-Known Member

i like the ladder idea but i'm thinking i've got an I beam with holes in it will work great i'm thinking the whole tripple trees are comming off as well

17. L8RSK8R

You're all set then. I wish my garage was as clean as that ;) mine's a feckin mess but I have used the ladder setup and will again...no I-Beam's or exposed rafter's at my place.

18. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I have a better question. WTF is that bike? V-twin... not a SV and not a Duc I don't believe.

And you don't have a hole in your garage with access to the attic? I took a pipe and ran it across that and used some rachet straps.

19. L8RSK8R

Nope, no access to rafter's. The rear 1/2 of my garage is converted to my office and the front section I use to store my shit...I have no access to rafter's (sealed in) and the garage door must be up/open if I'm doing any work, so garage door is in the way.
    Not sure what kinda bike that is. Everyone ask's me when I respond to this "how to" question and I post this image.
    Is it an Aprilia ?
    RC51?

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Hmmmmm......... I'd say maybe ur right with a Ape.