1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the beeb opinion on:

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Mar 24, 2023.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

buying a 3 year old truck out of the great white north and bringing it south?

Found a F150 that I'd like to have, but it spent a year in Canada ehh, and then was in South Dakota for the last two years.

I've typically stayed away from cars from snow infested area's due to rust but not sure if I'm being overly paranoid or not.

What's the beeb opinion?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Waste of time and money. If it hasn't been covered in fluid film or worse it has been coated in some tar based "protection" it is about 2 years away from hitting the junkyard rust pile.

Shenanigans and skidooboy like this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

LOL
    Usually trucks come with factory rust protection that lasts at least a few years. Have it coated again if you're afraid. But I wouldn't.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Does this 3 year old truck come with a golden pussy? Why would you go to the expense to import an F-1fiddy from unkind environs?

That said, I wouldn’t be concerned with a vehicle that has been used in SoDak. They actually expect people to know how to drive, and don’t put 300# of salt per square inch of roadway down every time the weather prognostiliars predict a snowfall between a dusting and 16 feet.

5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

he's right you know.jpg

You missed the best opportunity to protect it. before it saw the first snow, salt event. and for those that say, it already has a protector on it from the factory... the only ones that might are some high end euro vehicles and that is about it. the rest are not in the business to have your new vehicle last, or easy to repair. they are in the business to sell more new vehicles. if they last too long, they wont have repeat customers for a while (not a great business model). choose your protection, Fluid Film, Wool Wax, Surface Shield, or one of the cosmoline type spray on rust inhibitors. note the first three are lanolin based, and should be re-applied, or at least touch up the high wear, wash areas underneath, each year or two, prior to the first snow/salt/brine event, of the season.

Ski

tl1098 likes this.
  6. ClemsonsR6

Because a used 3 year old F150 with less than 60K miles in the SouthEast is about 55-60 grand. Same truck midwest and beyond is about 38 - 45 grand. Was really looking for more like Texas, AZ, California etc. but came across one identical to how I would spec it had I bought it new. Blue over Gold with the King Ranch trim and it's in SD.

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about a truck that new....I say if you want it, get it.

8. pickled egg

Need it delivered? ;)

Got all week next week, kids are on spring break. :D

Sabre699 likes this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

Actually.....but y'all told me I'm an idiot to buy it.

Sabre699 likes this.
  10. pickled egg

I did no such thing!

In fact I stated that buying something out of SD is a fuckton better than buying anything from any of the states at the same latitude, and due east.

That 18yr old purple monstrosity? Came outta SD, body still in damn good shape after 321k miles and a fucking tree landing on it. ;)

11. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

3 years but how many miles?

12. ClemsonsR6

I was looking at a couple...I think the blue one was under 50K miles

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Well, since you specifically asked for opinions, just wait. Used car prices are about to drop like a rock.

14. ClemsonsR6

15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Where out of Canada?. I know every truck in our area ( Ontario) that gets traded into a dealer is on a transport within 2 days headed to the US. Most are less than a year old. I have has 3 in the last 2 years.
    Western provinces don't use salt like we do here.

16. pickled egg

ClemsonsR6 likes this.
  17. ClemsonsR6

Matane, QC

18. No no and hell no, salt area.

19. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Beautiful area. On the Gaspé peninsula. Snowmobiled out of Matane in April last year.
    That said, not sure they use a lot of salt. Snow tires are a Quebec requirement by law.

20. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Do you want it?

Sabre699 likes this.