1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's a 'Terrorist'? What's a 'Revolutionary'?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Due North, Aug 28, 2003.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

But just some rich ship owner slob type person lost his tea not the British gooberment with the crazy king.

And John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry?

http://www.civilwarhome.com/johnbrown.htm

Had his own constitution and everything.

David

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Many terrorist groups have constitutions, a prime example, but not limited some of the White supremacy groups that operated in the American North West.

What John Brown did could easily be considered a terrorist act. Treasonous at the very least.

There can be a very fine line between what can be considered a terrorist group and what is a revolutionary group. Depends on your point of view. I would imagine there are people out there in the world who consider Al Queda a revolutionary group. Hell, some people consider the American Revolutionaries to be terrorist.

3. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

It all depends on whose side you are on.

4. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

During the recent Iragi war, I can remeber Bill O'Reilly asking one of the expert Generals, what could be done about these indescriminate acts of violence by small bands of men ambushing our soldiers. The General accused the Iraqi army of fighting like cowards, saying that they knew that they could not win using conventional means, and that they had descended into the unsportsman like hit and run tactics. "Dispicable" agreed Bill.

The irony howerver, could not escape me. Bill and the General sounded all the world like a couple of British Generals during the war of American Independance. How times have changed.

I agree with Dave, there is a very fine line.

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yeah, but come on. the british wanted to line up and face each other. then, aim rifles at each other's face and pull the trigger.

they were pissed that we shielded ourself with trees and such.

bunch of stupid tools. :D

6. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Re: Re: What's a 'Terrorist'? What's a 'Revolutionary'?

Frank, I don't deal in P&C - its a waste of time and money. As far as I'm concnered, anything that doesn't earn 30% is a waste.

7. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Yeah, and wear neon red uniforms while standing still. :rolleyes:

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

yep.

bunch of stupid tools. :D

9. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Somebody attach the Reid Ruling.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2003
  10. SOFG

SOFG Well-Known Member

Here it is I think:

Attached Files:

11. atl_hooligan

atl_hooligan Well-Known Member

Revolutionaries are terrorists whom succeed, and thus get to write the history!

12. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Excellent read. Never heard it before.

13. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Disagree. You could be both a terrorist and a revolutionary if you attack non-combatants in an effort to demoralize, threaten or otherwise cause havoc in society. Whether or not Al queda is a revolutionary group or not is beside the point -- it is clear that there intention was to attack non-combatants at the WTC and the African embassy bombings. One might argue that the attacks on the Pentagon or military barracks was not a "terrorist attack" per se, but they are clearly terrorists given the WTC and embassy.

Conversely, a government could be anti-revolutionary and either terrorist or non-terrorist in its tactics.

Keep in mind that governments have been the greatest mass murderers and terrorists - the WTC attacks were nothing compared to the millions of civilians who were targeted and killed by goverments in their campaigns of terror.

Rodger

14. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

That's what I said:

"terrorist - member of the losing team.

revolutionary - member of the winning team.

History is written by the winners, correct?"

15. atl_hooligan

That's what I get for not reading all the posts!

:D :D :D

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

At least some jerk didn't call you Atl Hulagirl. :D :p

17. atl_hooligan

shooooosh!!!!

You keep saying it and it's likely to stick! Do you think I want to be know as atl_hulagurl????

:D :D :D

18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Just means we think alike. Scary, huh?

19. atl_hooligan

Or we both did WAY too much acid as kids!

:eek:

20. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

Personally, I don't think there's a definition of terrorist that is going to be agree upon. My thoughts are similar to what some others have said, "Its those that we hate." Its not what they did, or why they did it - only that we've identified them as an enemy and hate them. Therefore they are terrorists.

The term 'terrorist' in modern times is a tool, designed as propganda and brainwashing. The term is invoked to cause fear and alarm and suppress reasoning. Its used to justify the unjustifyable. When governments commit murder, they will say he/she was a terrorist. Case closed. No accounting. When people are tortured or detained indefinitely or subjected to any other horror, the response is, he/she is a suspected terrorist.

When one hears the term terrorist, we're supposed to suspend all manner of civilized behaviour and revert to pure animalistic hate. No longer are they to be viewed as people because, people are afforded dignity, rights, ...