1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do with crashed helmet?

Discussion in 'General' started by sln, May 7, 2007.

1. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

All knowing WERA, I crashed in a Shoei X-11 last year and its been hanging on my wall ever since. I emailed shoei about maybe sending it to them to see if they can study it but they said its not damaged enough to be any use. So what now? Toss it in the trash?

I mean it did its job of protecting my noggin, but shoot, its hard to watch that kind of dollars get dumped in a landfill...

Thanks,

Steve

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Your local fire department/ rescue squad to use for training.

3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Drill three holes, fill it with dirt, put a plant in it and hang it as a flower pot.

David

4. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

seriously?

i have about 8 old helmets....

5. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Didnt some one make a lamp or totem pole out of his a year or so ago?

6. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

have a yard sale someone will buy it for 5.00

7. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I don't know what they do down there, but at Loudon junk helmets are gladly accepted by the U.S. Marshalls for use in training cornerworkers the proper procedure for helmet removal.

8. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

i found slaw's crashed helmet in the trashcan next to me at Nelson this weekend...

9. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

hang it on the wall next to your trophys!

10. sln

sln Slow LWT newb

What are trophys?

I'm all for putting it next to the rest of the carnage I have mounted on the wall (or whats left of it from that crash).

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Open an Ebay acct with username Hargo, and sell it.

12. slaw0002

slaw0002 Not as fat !!!!!!!

Want me to sign it for ya ? :up:

13. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

I had the same dilema with a crashed scorpion helmet

me and some friends spent an afternoon destroying it in my driveway, there were baseball bats, a truck, and a dog involved it was hilarious!

14. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

what no alcohol involved!!!

15. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

"Now thats funny right there, ... I don't care who you are" :)

16. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

yes, your DOT will probably take it too. I know PennDot will

17. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

In our MSF classes we use an old (damaged) helmet that has been sawed in half to show students the components of a good helmet (so they can see how thick the crushable foam lining is). It's also handy to be able to show them a rashed up helmet so they can appreciate the value of letting the helmet take that abuse rather than their face.

You may check to see if a local class would be interested in using your helmet as a training tool. Your helmet could be instrumental in saving another face, cranium and life.

18. Spicoli

Spicoli Cannoli Owned

Yep, do a search on here. If I remember correctly, the guy posted up some pics of the final result as well.

19. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Yes, theyr'e probably in jest, but don't sell or give away your crashed lids unless you cut the chin straps out of them and let people know they're not for use... People are stupid.

I argued with a guy 2 years ago who wanted to buy my 5 year old rain tires that were hard as rocks (even though they looked good). I wouldn't give them away, they were simply dangerous and this dude just wouldn't give up. Finally I cut both sidewalls and tossed them at him. He called me an asshole, but I saved him a lot of pain and headache by preventing a crash on them. They simply weren't safe for use but he couldn't grasp that concept...

20. flypigs

flypigs Cold turkey since 2003

That'd be me. I couldn't bring myself to throw out years of race history, so I drilled them and ran an old torch lamp through them. It's got a bigger shade on it now, and looks pretty cool. Once my 1 year old gains access to the basement, this whole thing is going to crash yet again.

Pete

[​IMG]