1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to Ask for Used Parts?

Discussion in 'General' started by raTTso, Dec 1, 2008.

1. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

I have some extra Ducati SS parts left from a track conversion, and I'm going to sell them. They are excellent/like new items, including some body work, clip ons, rearsets, foot controls, tail light. What is a general rule of thumb as an asking price compared to dealer retail?

Thanks in advance for helping me fund my 2009 campaign! :beer:

Kurt

2. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Start at 2/3 the retail price. But I've always been given the rule, as a buyer, try to pay around 1/2 the retail price for used parts. NEVER ask for full retail pop. Even if it's still in the bag. Some smartass will eventually say "well I can get that new at (insert internet store here) for less".

Someone will be along shortly with more sage advise, I'm sure, lol

3. sdg

sdg *

Have a look at ebay for comparisons, and don't get greedy (kid yourself). Lotsa people think used duc parts are worth way more than they are.

4. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

Thanks for the replies. The 2/3-1/2 rule sounds right. And I'm not out looking to make a killing. Ducati SS parts are pretty readily available. I wish I had been paying more attention to used parts prices, but luckily I don't have to go eBaying for replacement parts very often (knock on wood).

Thanks again.

Kurt

5. The Raven

The Raven will wheelie for boobies

i usually sell for 1/2 of what its worth or what the current going price is on the item

6. hintonrsvr

hintonrsvr Well-Known Member

Kurt, When I sold my stuff I believe I sold for around 1/3 retail price as the retail price on the oem ducati parts is very high. Some of my stuff I sold on ducati ms and you can take a look at what I sold mine for.

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Ebay is an excellent way to gauge a fair price for items. Do an advanced search and select "Closed bids only", it will give you the closing price of the items you're searching for, and you can price accordingly compared to the condition of the items that previously sold.

8. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

Thanks for the advice on how to review eBay for pricing, SGV.

Chad, I picked up a theft-recovery 800SS! It won't be the superbike that you have, but I'm looking forward to the extra oomph over my 750SS. PM me your email address, will you?

Kurt