1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is with white folks and blackface?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Feb 6, 2019.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Oh the outrage. Now excuse me. I need to find something to be offended about.

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Why would anyone impersonate Aunt Flo? And wouldn't it be red face?

3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Funny thing is Al Jolson was consider "the world's greatest entertainer" and highest paid at one time.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, truly messed up era with regard to race.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Say WHAT???

Perhaps, I'm not racist enough to know what hidden meanings there may or may not be.....I wasn't around during the days of those "minstrel shows" which I assume the job is to make a mockery.....if so, I already covered that in my original post.

Julianne Hough is/was a big fan of that cable show Orange is the New Black and was foolish enough to get a spray on dark tan and an orange jumpsuit to go to a Halloween party......got BASHED for it. When was the last time you saw a person of color getting bashed for dressing up as a white person?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not saying people don't get bashed for impersonating a black person. I'm sure they do. However it is still not remotely the same thing as blackface. Not even close to the same thing - no matter which side is trying to make them the same.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Just looked at a pic of Hough - that's not blackface, they lied about it calling it that.

8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

There was a time, not too long ago, when jazz was considered a negative art form. People liked it but in order to perform it a white person had to don the image of a black person. Truly a f*cked up way of thinking, but then that was only 50 years after the civil war. The good thing was it brought just how ridiculous the whole mess was. Once that was understood it was easier to move on to the next screw ball concept. It might be nice to believe that social change can be legislated but in reality it's evolutionary.

9. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Hopefully they won't go after G W Bailey for putting shoe polish on his face for camouflage in the movie Manequin.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not to mention the misogyny of wanting a fake women over a real one and the entire set of issues with idealized female forms and and and....

:crackup:

11. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Delete these posts, make sure there is no way someone can find them in a search, we don't need another classic film destroyed by SJW :crackup:

12. joec

joec brace yourself

Actually, and my memory could have this backasswards, but that was fairly controversial. People got in her shit pretty deep and I seem to recall lots of excuses.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It was a HUGE deal at the time. She of course has turned into a liberal psycho poster child since so it's all good.

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

So people dressed up in blackface 150 years ago to make fun of Negroes in stage shows? Is that what the fuss is about? I once saw part of a Western where they dressed up an Italian kid in sombrero with brown face makeup and had him play a Mexican. He kept saying “Si senor”. Should we look up that kid if he’s still alive and make him apologize?

17. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What about the movie “Cheyenne Autumn” where John Ford used Navajos to portray Cheyennes and they only spoke Navajo to make crude references to the white men penis in their speeches?

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If I spoke Navajo that would probably be pretty damn funny.

stk0308 likes this.
  19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

He should at least have his career destroyed to atone.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

This is getting interesting, the Dem governor has been #blackfaced, the Dem Lt Gov has been #metooed, and now the Dem AG
    has been #blackfaced, leaving a Republican next in line to be Gov.
    They're going to have to pick between a racist or a rapist or a Republican.

tl1098, tdoss1980 and kangasj like this.