1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this set up worth? welder

Discussion in 'General' started by bugeye, Dec 9, 2018.

1. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

My 1983 Miller dial arc HF was 500 bucks with a cooler ..from a race car shop.. single phase.. would cost me thousands to get something that goes to 310 apps (like I need that lol)

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Jesus. Are inert gas cylinders lined with gold down there? That’s triple what I pay.

3. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The welder I am using at work is a Lincoln IdealArc TIG250. I think it is around a 1984 model. If I had the shop space I would not hesitate to grab an older welder like it or the dial arc, especially for a smoking deal like you got. The old transformer machines will probably all be running strong long after the inverter machines with adjustable everything have been hauled off to the junk yard.

4. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

cool how u can change links to 460 volt too..( if i ever pull it out of the basement)((not easy getting it up and down even 2 stairs lol))

crashman likes this.
  5. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

True, but the inverter machines require MUCH less power to run, and take up much less space. There’s also the claims about arc stability and such, but I’m not sure that’s a noticeable difference.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

But the inverter machines have so many knobs and buttons that it is easy to get lost in the settings!:D

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

125 CF