1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What front wheel on CRF100/XR100

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by erock768, Feb 18, 2016.

1. erock768

erock768 Well-Known Member

I tried searching but it was inconclusive.

Setting up a CRF100 for mini racing. As I understand it, most run a 16" front tire. What is the hot set up:

Do you guys A) just mount a 16" front wheel, hub and all off of a CRF80/XR80 (does the entire wheel even mount right up?) or do you B) lace a 16" CRF100 rear wheel to a CRF100 Front hub using CRF80 spokes?

Any other options?

Also, I see most use the BT45s. Do you run 110/90 both front and rear? recommended tire sizes?

Thanks!
    Eric

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes 110/90 works great on both ends. BT45 all the way. May rub the stock fork gators depending on the tire lot. (a couple mm variances between some)

You can buy an 80 front rim (16") from honda for $33. You can buy the buchanan HD spoke kit for $85 and lace the 16 to your stock 19" hub. You will have to drill the rim out just slightly to fit the new HD nipples.
    Or if you can find a good straight 16" 80 wheel its a bolt on affair. Just make sure the hub isnt worn beyond service limits. Clean and scuff the drum & pads... go have fun! Also make sure to lube the cable or install a new one if there is any age on it.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

If I were to lace my own wheel, I would lace a 100 rear rim to a front hub with heavy spokes. The 100 16" rear is a bit wider than the 80 front, so you could run the 110/90 more easily. Otherwise, the 80 wheel assembly is a drop-in affair, nothing easier.

SpeedyE and TurboBlew like this.
  4. erock768

erock768 Well-Known Member

Thank you distinguished gentlemen for your replies. That's what I was looking for.

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

The only thing I would add is check the class rules if your racing it. Some require stock 19, some only 80 rim, others rear rim on front hub. Short of any rules dictating what you need to do, the 1.6in rear rim will help the profile on the front vs the 1.4in XR80 rim. If I was going for the best 16in stock hub setup I could muster I would order some aluminum XS650 rims in 2.15 or 2.5 in widths and run them on stock hubs front and rear. You can get the 2.15 for like $15 more than a stock rim from Honda.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

You're over paying for your hoop. I found the XR80 hoop brand new for $22 shipped. Spokes are harder. The cheapest route I have found is buying 2 badly bent (but complete) wheels for $25 each, and then combining the remaining spokes to make a complete set.

the short spokes on the 19" hub are also VERY close to the same size as the long spokes on the 16" hub. I used one or two as replacements in a pinch.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I just checked the microfiche, and it's a 2.5mm difference. The long spokes on the XR80 front wheel are 183mm. The short spokes on the XR100 front wheel are 185.5mm

Close enough for mini racing.

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the stock spokes tend to break with a full sized adult on them. They need to be checked pretty frequently.
    The rear I had done with the HD spokes... hasnt needed so much as an adjustment since 2013.

9. sharky nrk

I think next wheel I build will be with bigger heavy duty spokes as well. I tend to break a couple every so often without any "jumps" or crazy stuff like that. I just have not wanted to drill the hubs/rims.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how "full-sized." :) I have only broken spokes when I ran over a crashed bike. I am also under 180 lbs though. More with full riding gear, but I'm not bottoming out the shock or anything like that.

Spokes are obnoxiously expensive. My "team" did invest in a spoke torque wrench and a truing/balancing stand. The XR wheels are checked every couple of races to make sure they're still nice and tight.

We also had to make a rule exception to allow for the beefier Buchanan spokes. I think it was a unanimous vote (they're heavier. no performance to be gained), but the rule book says "unless it says you CAN do it, you cannot do it." We're also limited to the XR80 front hoop, and can't run the stock 100 rear hoop.

My take is if it's a $0 mod, everyone should be allowed to do it (i.e. remove the airbox cover).

11. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread, but I am in the same situation. Going to pick up a crf100 for the old lady to fart around in. Thanks for the easy-to-the-point answer.

12. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

13. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

Wooooo! Thanks!

14. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Good advice, the only other thing I'll add is use OEM brake pads.

15. Kshuart

Kshuart Well-Known Member

What are considered heavy duty spokes? 9 gauge or 8 gauge?
    I think the 10 gauge are standard on the front wheel, 9 is standard on the rear, so HD means 9 on the front and 8 on the rear? Do you just order spokes for an XR80 front wheel? Those fit the CRF100 hub okay?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  16. sharky nrk

I second this

17. sharky nrk

the 80 spokes fit the 100 hub fine but the HD spokes may require hub drilling