1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are steering stops for?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 05Yamabomber, Aug 7, 2023.

1. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

2017 R6 I bought has aftermarket steering stops. I have never used them before. It severely limits the turning radius and many times when turning around I end up having to put my foot down cause the bish wont turn enough.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does it have a bigger radiator or anything in the way when at full lock??

3. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

No bike is stock motorwiseHas an Ohlins damper

4. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Helps prevents abhorrent high sides, resulting in more of a low side.

5. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Minimizes tank slappers and will help preserve the OEM steering stops in a crash.

6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I appreciate it. Just sucks turning bike around having to make huge turns or moving the bike around takes a lot longer.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Just pretend it's a Ducati, or a Buell XB...

8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

It is like ridiculous narrow turn radius. I cant even make a U-Turn on my street without slamming my foot down cause the bike says "no" you aint gonna make that turn. So tough bouncing between bikes that have and dont have. Probably gonna remove it.

9. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Seems like a dumb thing to have on the street, but on the track it might be extremely useful.

10. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

It is a fully prepped track bike. Just motor not built but everything else done. I was unloading it from my trailer today and had to turn around to get into my driveway and couldnt make the turn. Even leaving tech in the morning cant even turn around. Its embarrassing to be honest. I guess people get used to it but I am not there yet.

11. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

For racing bikes the bars might be lowered and tbe stops needed to keep the bars from hitting the tank.

RichMangus and 418 like this.
  12. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Or not. I highsided once because of this. Had rear end slide and steering hit stop, over the bars I go. I used maximum steering ever since but not too far to pinch my thumb against frame/tank.

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Stops prevent the bars from crushing your hands in a violent slap. They're also typically sacrificial pieces that will take the brunt of an impact before something more expensive and delicate does so.

418 likes this.
  14. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Steer with the rear:crackup:

15. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

They’re usually not installed for anything you do on the bike. Most likely was installed to prevent damage in a crash. Keeps the bars out of the tank and fairings.

16. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

These stops are mounted on each side of the upper fairing bracket bolts. They have a rubber damper on each side. I think they might be for the Ohlins steering damper to limit the range to prevent it bottoming out the Ohlins? FIrst time I have had an Ohlins stabilizer mounted in the front location.