1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA C superstock vs 2018 Moto America supersport 600

Discussion in 'General' started by regularguy, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

100% agree, except the safer part. Other than those certain year gixxer's with the recalled M/C, every other brand has had solid OEM brake systems for the last 10-ish years.

Safety wiring, race body work, the cost of everything (License, track time to entry fee ratio, etc) are stopping people from gridding up, not the cost of an aftermarket M/C.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's exactly why Tyler's bikes had front Ohlins cartridges and rear shock. Everyone else had them, so I figured we probably needed it.

His SV650 actually had a GSXR front end with stock cartridges. Tige Dane and James Morse from Cycle Mall, put in an inexpensive KTEC front piston kit, and it felt so much better Tyler started setting track records with it.

So in reality, would this inexpensive kit been enough on the 600's he raced, vs buying full cartridges?

Regarding slippers, maybe consider wording it that you must use OEM slipper, unless your bike came without one, like the Honda CBR600, then aftermarket is allowed.

rafa and VFR#52 like this.
  3. :D. This has always been my favorite rationalization from someone who wants the rules bent or changed to give him a performance advantage:

„It’s a safety issue!“

Robby-Bobby and VFR#52 like this.
  4. Meh, I say eliminate all SS classes, eliminate all the classes with less than 4-6 racers on the grid, and have all SB.

Let the weekend consist of:

Grom-SB
    300-SB
    LWT-SB
    HWT-SB
    600-SB
    750-SB
    1000-SB
    OldAss-SB (for bikes 1990-2005
    SuperOldAss-SB (for pre-1990 bikes).

That’s it.

Mix in the Grom and LW races staggered between the 600/750/1000 races so the races aren’t back to back on the same bikes.

Races could be 15-20 laps long.

badmoon692008 and blake holt like this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Didn't work out so great for MA 600 Supersport the past couple years, relative to grid size - as just one example.

Some people will hem and haw about little mods not being legal but the truth is - that's the minority. And you have to tailor to the majority. Brembo MC - $200. Rotors, $500. Slipper clutch, $xxx? There's a $1000 of a "perceived vs. actual" performance advantage in discussion.

You are the only person who includes the Grom in a serious discussion of race classes. There's nothing wrong with it. I just love it.

Robby-Bobby and Gorilla George like this.
  6. WERA should have an Unobtanium class - the guy with the most expensively tricked-out motorcycle wins.

rcarson15 and OldGuyOnBlu like this.
  7. Grom racing is serious business.

Any discussion about racing MUST include Groms...or it isn’t a serious discussion.

8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I've never experienced brake fade with an aftermarket M/C...I have with an OEM. I'll call that a safety issue. Just my opinion.

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

That's probably Broom or Boccarp.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I agree. I have seen many posts here of people asking what they need to start racing. First thing people say is tires and suspension, but suspension is far from necessary at yellow plate level.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

F1.

12. Or you could say, like tires you have to manage your brakes.
    Not arguing it’s just a counter point :)

13. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Necessary to race or necessary to be competitive and win?

14. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Ive never heard of 'managing tires and brakes' in a sprint race.

Only thing you would be managing would be last place.

VFR#52 and TurboBlew like this.
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Either, you can win amature races with stock suspension

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm my experience, in the regions I cover and have first hand experience with, I don't think that's true.

17. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

In this era of trackday professionals, the AM/EX split is often very very small for those at the front. Either you have CRs with many seasons of experience or a truly gifted newby who with a season or less of TD coaching is right up there with the fast guys anyway. ( or some combination of the two )

18. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Especially with SV MCs.. they are notoriously hit-or-miss whether or not you get a good one.

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

youre correct. One could also race with stock rearsets and taped up OEM fairings as well. Why doesnt this happen? :D

20. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I race with stock rearsets :D

I'm also quite slow.

TurboBlew and rcarson15 like this.