1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA 2021 MotoGP Fantasy League

Discussion in 'General' started by dsapsis, Feb 16, 2021.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

just some fuzzy math here....I mean $15 = $1.25 more a month, more to win as we do have a every race winner too, so there are more ways to win that just overall.

I would rather more players, as that means I beat more of the WERA folks, but $1.25...do it for the children of WERA

Newyork likes this.
  2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Buy in doesn't matter to me. If I was out of pocket this year I'd say 60, but since I'm playing with house money from last year 75 works for me too. I'm taking the bird down anyway, so it really doesn't matter. I hope the exchange rate is a bit better when you send that money back up north to it's rightful home :D

Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’m with the Big Bird on this one. Pony up and let’s get it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just have prorated payouts if people want to vary the payments - pretty easy to keep track of (I'll volunteer if needed). For instance, using a 60/30/10 payout for top three, this is what it would look like if someone who bought in for $60 won and 2nd and 3rd bought in for $75.

34 players buying in, total pool available to a $75 buy in is $2385 and total pool for a $60 buyin is $1908.

upload_2021-2-22_14-56-58.png

So, we can either do that or everyone can strap on a set.

Newyork and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

I mean I don't like the idea of having separate entry fees, but whatever brings in more players. Entry fee should be a deterrent.

Seeing the continued ingenuity and intelligence of the Beeb always amazes me!

6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

OK that is two people formally requesting to stay at 60. Other players please chime in with a vote.
    <edit> Sudden's pro rata model came in over the wire while I was posting. I am a little ambivalent on that in the sense that I like the game to be all the same for everyone. Let me think on it a bit.

7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Another option is to keep the "base" buy-in at $60 and have some other "game" (pick top three finishers in the Beeb, etc.) that the extra $15 goes towards.

Lots of ways to solve this problem.

backbone and Phl218 like this.
  8. Dan Dubeau

60 could be for the base game, and the extra 15 for the side pot of round winners. If you only buy in for 60, and win a round you get nothing.

OR we settle on a buy in amount. I thought 60 was pretty reasonable from last year, but just went with the flow when 75 seemed to be to the way. I'm good with 60 again if it gets more players. $75 IS a bit juicy considering the year some people may have had....

BigBird likes this.
  9. Phl218

Phl218 .

fine with me, either way.

the icing on the cake approach for the wins sounds good to me.

BigBird likes this.
  10. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Ideally everyone pays the same. As I said before, I will play even at $75...I mean stock market's kicking my ass lately anyway, so what's another $75 loss? LOL But my only thought is to prevent people from backing out if they think it's too much. In other words, if we lose one person because of the higher cost, it's not a big deal...but if we lose like 5+ because of it, then I'd say drop the entry to $60. I vote to give it another couple of days and if nobody else says they're not joining because of the higher fee, then stick with $75.

BigBird likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

if there was a split, i mean the +$15 means 15-20 more chances to win something.

i'm not trying to convince anyone, either way, but the game itself is worth it. You're never out. A couple rain races makes a HUUUGE difference. the second race at the same circuit is not like the first.

The User Interface is amazing, thanks @jksoft !! @dsapsis runs a great game and well you got the WERA folks giving it their all. And for most, it makes the races more interesting. I know it definitely keeps me very involved. Nothing like playing against fellow people who love racing, and most that are racers.

sbk1198 likes this.
  12. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I apologize. Like I had said before I don’t have paypal anymore so I can’t access it and quickly browsing the thread I didn’t see it. Thanks again for doing this for us. Will get payment to you from my wife’s paypal tomorrow.

oh and I vote for $75 if I hadn’t said that already.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’m stoked to play. Missed this last year but vowed to get into it this year. When do we get access to the interface, the weekend of the first race? Is there a rule list somewhere or anything I need to know other than pick the first 15 riders?

BigBird likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Pick Rossi high. He's due.

Newyork, Phl218 and BigBird like this.
  15. BigBird

BigBird blah

@dsapsis rules please...(you're better with the words than I am)

~sent from mobile

Newyork likes this.
  16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'll get with Jeremy to get the site up once we get the players all set. He is working on autoscoring processing now.

I really would like the game to be the same for everyone, and while I don't see 15 bucks as marginally much, I am keen to
    a) have as many players as possible; and
    b) not have the money be a form of wealth generation (I'll leave that to you day traders) -- its purpose is that it makes the game (and more importantly, the races) more interesting and entertaining. Like what was mentioned by Phl above, lets see other people's opinion on the bump to 75. If the folks opposed to this remain in the low minority we will raise it, but if they come out in sizable numbers, it will remain 60. All ideas are still on the table.

On the rules: You pick the race order and get the points assigned to where your rider finishes. If you pick Maverick to finish first and he wins, you get 15 points; if you pick him for first and he finished 7th, you get 9 points (points mirror official points toward the championship and 7th nets 9 points; 15th place is worth 1 point and everyone below there does not matter because they do not score points. If you pick a racer to finish in some position lower than where they end up finishing, you get the points for your pick position. Basically, the game is to replicate the order of finish. A lot happens when racers who folks believe will finish up front crash or mechanical. And rain races are notorious wildcards. 140 points is a perfect score; common winning scores depend on the nature of the race but are often somewhere near 100 (or more like 75 for a really weird one).

BigBird and Newyork like this.
  17. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

Last year the best strategy was to write down all the riders' names on separate pieces of paper, mix them up, throw them on the floor and pick the order based on who landed closest to you.

18. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Ok [emoji1303] I may have to refer back to this at some point (it’s 5:30 am right now) but seems pretty straightforward.

Lol I am starting to see the light here. I’m hoping to have the most fun possible while possibly winning some coin.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Phl218

Phl218 .

wait, you didn't use the blind-darts technique?

20. Dan Dubeau

My best strategy last year was staying up late drinking Saturday night watching all the practices and qualifying, coming up with some complex formula that only makes sense after a dozen beers, then sleeping in Sunday morning so it's too late make changes and totally lucking into some wacky race that no sane/sober person would have picked :D. 5% of the time it worked everytime.