1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Web Browsers

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

What, no Lycos?

I miss Ask Jeeves.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

This might fit better in the "school me on investing" thread, but since you mentioned ASKJ, that is one of the two stocks that allowed me to quit working for the man. Titanium Metals Inc was the other. Enron and Freeport McMaran are why I still have to work at all. :oops:

As for ASKJ, I became interested in it just after the dot-bomb crash. I didn't understand their revenue model or I'd've bought more & be posting this from my yacht. But they were trading at .75-.90 a share and had an almost zero burn rate, and had $2.18/share cash in the bank and no debt whatsoever. It was literally the same as buying $2.18 for about eighty cents, PLUS a business. At one point I had 40K shares at about 80 cents entry point. Sold 30K at about $4. Kept the remaining 10K up to $42 a share at one point before ASKJ got bought out at 28.

TIE I bought at under a buck AFTER a 10:1 reverse split. That's invariably a death throes situation for a stock and I only wanted it for a short trade for the dead cat bounce. Long story short: thank you Mr Harold Simmons for that hundred-bagger.

As for the losers, everyone knows about Enron. Freeport McMaran 'STOLE' my investment in Phelps Dodge by buying it out at pennies on the dollar... I figured, though, don't hate the player hate the game and if they were that shrewd, they must be good and put way too much money in them that just never panned out. (see what I did there?) I even recc'd FCX in an article in the 2JUN08 issue of Barrons... which thankfully turned out not to be the worst advice in that issue since the front cover had BUY GM in huge letters.

/threadjack

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

duckduck app looks awfully lot like a browser to me here on the phone

4. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I use Brave mostly, TOR when the YouTube region issues come up.
    Biggest downside of TOR is the lag from bouncing all over the globe.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Firefox with AdBlockPlus. Or Tor.

6. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

If you're really bothered by online privacy/tracking set up a pi-hole.

https://pi-hole.net

Instead of clicking on a website link, copy and paste it into the browser and remove anything including and after the question mark in the URL before pressing enter. Yeah, it's an extra step but it's one way to claw some of your privacy back.

Example:

Code:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438?fbclid=IwAR3lvh0DcCeFeO2st_9aQLZm9VvV8mDLDx1WuT7oUN_2870XNuSPEkVTX2E
    That link came from facebook and is one of the ways they track you.

This link takes you to the exact same spot:

Code:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-55048438
    Also, get off of facebook altogether.

Elsinore and Phl218 like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Amen...:beer:

969 and YamahaRick like this.
  8. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

I have recently transitioned away from Chrome to firefox due to Google is so invasive. Firefox is not. They perform about the same IMO.

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

i added duckduckgo extension to chrome and I must say the tremendous speed increase browsing.

10. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There are those who claim Chrome is malware: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/27/help-desk-how-fight-spies-your-chrome-browser/

Being a Google product, Chrome does collect far more information on you and your habits than any other browser.
    Firefox, with non-default settings and a couple of add-ons is probably the most secure browser, but its slower than Chrome and there are a few sites out there written in Chrome-specific ways that have javascript/PHP/ASP that is incompatible with Firefox.

11. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

They left out the biggest hole, which is when you specify DoH, it doesn't respect the operating system's DNS settings and uses Google's own servers.

12. JustAnotherSquid

JustAnotherSquid Used to ride a motorcycle

13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

14. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

R Acree likes this.
  15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

that Dissenter actually has a weaker and vastly more permissive privacy policy than Chrome; the only limitation they place on their use of your data is that they won't do anything illegal with it.