1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 Synthetic

Discussion in 'General' started by condon66, Oct 23, 2016.

1. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I'm looking at picking up a .270 of this make and model. Everything I read tells me I can't go wrong with this choice for a $500 budget. Anybody here have one or anybody here in the industry and have an opinion? Thanks
    van_s2_syn_dbm.jpg

2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

3. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have a synthetic vanguard in 30-06. It's been a great gun.

4. condon66

Is it the newer Series 2? The S2 has a much better trigger I've read.

5. condon66

That looks and sounds really nice. I will check it out. The Vanguard S2 also has an adjustable trigger and I favor the synthetic stock. I love a beautiful wood stock but hate like hell to beat them up through use.

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

A well cared for gun with a few honest battle scars on the stock is beautiful in its own right. I love surplus military weapons. Every nick is a bit of history.

7. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Older version. trigger feels fine to me though.

8. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I'm picky about triggers, but then some that have shot my rifles think they're too light. The only real light one is my .223, it's about 8 oz. :) Everything else is about 2 lbs.

9. condon66

I am pretty anal about triggers too and have improved or replaced them on all my guns. I checked out the T3 Hunter and based on what I read would prefer the S2. I would still like to actually handle one though.

10. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

when you say 270 is it 270 winchester or 270 weatherby? not that it's a huge difference or deal breaker, but the weatherby ammo is a bit harder to come by and a bit more $$$. Other than that, nothing to not like about Weatherby rifles.. but would probably prefer then in the non weatherby calibers IMHO.

11. condon66

Yeah I'm looking for the .270 win.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I keep thinking this is an oil thread :crackup:

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah man, and I was thinking it was specifically about someone had started trying to do a 747 since Castrol killed it off. :D

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Oil thread? On a gun forum? Don't be silly. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  15. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I had this in 7mm-08. I'd get the shorter barrel version if they make it for 270win. I just found I don't like two stage triggers for hunting and sold mine.

16. condon66

I prefer the longer barrel for velocity but am wondering about the 2 stage for hunting just as you say. Never used a 2 stage for hunting so...

17. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

How far are out are you shooting?

18. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Might want to take a look at the Savage Model 11 trophy hunters. They come with a Nikon 3-9x 500 yard BDC scope and the accutrigger is pretty slick and adjustable. I would say they are plenty accurate [​IMG]

19. condon66

Some areas up to 300 yds

20. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Cake walk all day long especially with how flat a 270 shoots.