1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wearing authentic military jacket

Discussion in 'General' started by L8RSK8R, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You know what, with the EGA on it, take it off, never wear it again and just chalk it up as money wasted.

Jarhead motherf@ckers have earned the right to wear it, you haven't (if you haven't been one).

Hard pipe hitting mother F@ckers who don't leave their dead, would rather fight then f@ck and are (rightfully) protective of their shit.

Philip Mirgliotta likes this.
  2. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Although I can still fit in my blues, I have seen many that cannot wear their uniform appropriately and in my opinion, bring disgrace to it. The other side of it is that you earned the right to wear a uniform that you volunteered for in a time of war in support of your flag. Interestingly, each service has in their uniform regulations the rules for wear following service.
    I got a chuckle out of the above, especially when I noted the author's service and rank. A number of years back I was at a program where members of the local Marine Corps League were a part of the program. All but one wore MC league jackets and of course were in Civies. No matter how hard they tried, they looked anything but sharp. The odd man out, as rigid as the flagpole was wearing his dress blues. The rank on the retiree's sleeve showed he was a Sgt. Major. He was.clearly unhappy with the look of the former Marines. When the ceremony was over he called them over. They reacted like they were just graduating at Paris Island. He proceeded to give them an ass chewing. They were downcast.

3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Until the fatigues/utility apparel have insignia on them that designate rank and branch of service, it's not a uniform.

Becoming a member of one of our Armed Services and the rank you achieve are earned. If you haven't earned that, don't do it.
    If you have, and you still want to wear your stuff after you pick up your DD-214, removing the Service branch and rank insignia makes it acceptable.
    Keeping your name tape on your stuff I don't believe is a personal foul.

I got rid of all my stuff when I got out. I stopped investing in new uniforms because I know that my last enlistment was just that...my last enlistment.
    I got as much mileage out of it as possible so I could use my annual clothing allowance for something non-essential.

4. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

I don't feel that I earned the right to wear it regardless of how it is or is not labeled. I never served and lost some friends along the way that did serve but out of respect for them and all of the others I just can't.

StaccatoFan, Chino52405 and tony 340 like this.
  5. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I’m in the MCL and we have a lot of the types you speak of. Never understood how you can be such a tight, squared away young Marine, then turn into one of those guys 40 years years later. But I applaud them for still wanting to serve their communities, as we do a lot of philanthropic works.

A quick story relating to the topic. At a neighboring MCL detachment, they had a group of five or six old guys that just never seemed like they served. Really sloppy, didn’t stand at attention properly, saluted in an odd manner. Some real shit birds. Well I later found out that they were Korean War Veterans. We were completely unprepared for that conflict, and badly short on troops, so they were signing men up and putting them on ships to head over. No bootcamp, no nothing. They got uniforms and some very basic weapons and combat training on the ship. Then they landed and were thrust into war.

That’s who those old guys were that I referenced earlier. They may not know how to salute properly, or how to wear a uniform, but those sloppy old guys fought and bled for our country, and are more of a Marine than I could ever be. I learned much about humility and not judging too harshly from that episode.

auminer, ToofPic, StaccatoFan and 5 others like this.
  6. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I wear my fathers field jacket from time to time and I'm honored to do it. 20 yr proud veteran.

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

It's what some that have earned it call a CBF, but I would not recommend that a Coastie say that. :D

I was Navy and I won't...

rd400racer likes this.
  8. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have a USMC sticker on my car as support for our youngest, who is a career Marine at this point with about 15 years in. When I have had people ask if I served, I just explain it and they almost always just thank me for his service. I think everybody understands a proud parent. Once when we were visiting at Camp Pendelton we went to the beach on base. One of the guys patrolling the beach was visiting with me and asked if I had served . I answered that I hadn't and we were there with our son and family. He was super nice and respectful and just said I had the look of a Marine. I was surprised and honored.

Phl218 likes this.
  9. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I see many M-65 jackets around in the fall and early winter here. The Army/Navy surplus stores have some ok pieces. I mainly get the cold weather stuff.
    Still holding out for an old originals pea coat.

rd400racer likes this.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bought an old milspec pea coat a few years ago because they had quit issuing them when I served. It's one fine jacket.

11. auminer

When did you serve?

I went to boot on 21JUL86 and we were one of the first to get the 'new' and 'improved' nylon seabags vs the real canvas ones, but you could still readily find a canvas one.

We did get real peacoats, but I have absolutely no idea what ever happened to mine.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I was 80-84, but the CG was pretty stingy with gear.

13. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

couldnt git my big ass in my pea coat. sold all the rest when i got out. damn i wish i was still able to wear it. kind of wish id have kept some of it but not those button front pants hated those damn things.

14. james weaver

james weaver Well-Known Member

hey how about your dog tags found mine in my wifes jewelry box. any one else still have theirs.

15. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

That's lovely. I have my husband's as well.

16. auminer

I don't remember even having those. I know we had our locker key on a chain around our necks as I clearly recall making the key "stand at attention" which requires an awkward halfway up pushup position, gets hard to hold pretty quickly.

We are talking about dog tags, right? :D

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lol, yes? I get that you're making a joke, but I don't get it? You know, those punched out tin things that said your name, blood type, religion... attached to that metal bead string...

Shit I have them, and I was a dependent...

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think I have mine somehwhere in my house. I used to carry them on my keychain, but then I realized my SSN was on it and identity theft was becoming a thing, so that keychain practice came to an end.

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. auminer

Yeah, I'm sure that I did have them, since I remember looking for rubber/silicone wraps for them to keep them from clinking, but I can't recall the mental image of them.

Old sucks.

20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Wait a second, are you referring to things that come in pairs and don't clink? Lololol!!!

Nah, one of the reasons I married him is because I knew that wasn't possible, nevermind I didn't have any interest in it...

auminer likes this.