1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We are the police for the world...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 976-FIZR, Feb 20, 2004.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Dude, I know you don't like me that much. :D

Admit it, you feel g u i l t y, don't ya...??? :Poke:

p.s. Damn, I should have know you were going to make fun of my "Bushmaster". Bastard. :( :p

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Come on Haga, tell the truth.

You have a warsaw bloc era AK-47 with 1950's era highly corrosive ammo.

They never issued Bushmasters to you stupid Hungarians. :D

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

bushmaster... BLAH HAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brad, a Bushmaster is sort of like a cheap Echo weed wacker. But it had rubber training blades so "certain sects" don't weed wack their toes off.

5. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you are a racist! :D

6. 418

418 Expert #59

Fuck you both. :moon: :D

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Remind me to kick your ass okay? :D

8. mad brad

mad brad Guest

dear dave, don't forget to kick my ass.

thanks, BW

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2004
  9. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by mad brad
    we now are the proud owners of the highest murder rate statistic.

freak.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Brad was refering to western/industrialized societies, he is right. Quoting my father from Scientific American:

"The U.S. property crime rate matches those of most other industrialized countries, but its homicide rate exceeds western Europe's by 4 to 1 and Japan's by 7 to 1."

http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse....LEID_CHAR=1E3D921B-D24E-48C2-BA2F-5EBCFA79042

In absolute terms Brad is wrong - The US is 23rd, at least on the easiest locatable website I could find: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

But look at the countries with the higher rates than the US - decaying Soviet bloc countries and third world countries - and you'll see that it makes little sense to compare their rates to US murder rates. If you look at countries that the US is most similar to in terms of shared history and culture such as Canada and Western Europe, Brad is correct -- the US murder rate is much higher.

But the interesting thing is that Canada and Western Europe have a much more "liberal" policy towards convicted felons and I beleive none have a death penalty. So the death penalty is not even there to act as a deterent.

Rodger

10. No, Brad was just talking out of his ass, as usual. I'm certainly happy to discuss this with you though.

If you consider all of the actual countries in the European Union as provinces of a fictional country, thereby averaging all of the individual homicide statistics together, your father's stat would be close, but not quite accurate. By the book, the EU's overall homicide rate is just under 30% of the US' - not 4 to 1.

This average, of course, includes the vanishingly small rates from countries like Norway and Luxembourg and Austria, and rates closer to the US homicide rate from countries such as Ireland, Finland and Spain.

This is a different way to look at it. I was using the Homicide Rate per 100,000 stats, which is the internationally standardized method of measurement because "Homicide" is defined similarly amongst nearly all of the nations. What you found is "Murder per capita," which is different. Murder is included in homicide, but what is "murder?" Homicide also includes justified self-defense and killings by police or military law enforcement action. Murder does not include these things, and indeed can be defined differently depending on the country. A specific instance that we might consider to be murder might be considered justified homicide elsewhere (or vice versa). Whether this distinction is important is something we can debate :) Or not :D

You're giving Brad too much credit. None of this level of consideration or detail went into his pronouncement.

Consider though, that the US rate is no longer "much higher." Higher, yes - but there are a number of those Western European countries from which we derive culture and heritage that are rapidly approaching our rate of homicide, and several of them that in terms of overall crime and even violent crime (other than homicide) have surpassed us.

Consider also that nearly all if not all of those third-world countries with the high homicide rates and many of the former Soviet Bloc countries have the death penalty, and several of them still practice public executions. If the death penalty were a deterrent, this would not be possible, yes? If public executions were a deterrent the homicide rates would not be so high, yes?

As I said previously, the death penalty has never been a deterrent. Never.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2004
  11. mad brad

mad brad Guest

sure i said it. it's true.

wait just a minute.

just because i refuse to go and look it up for you. (honestly, is a prick with no name worth my sweat?) no, you're not. secondly, i gotta give kudos to roger for wasting his time on you.

we all see you prance around this forum with your useless prattle. roger, and IYC find you worth the time. i say something quick and blunt just to tell you to fuck off. (that part, i rather enjoy) if you were in a live discussion/debate without your search engine, you'd be owned by 3/4 of the crowd here.

really, you bore me old man.

12. Re: sure i said it. it's true.

Now that is funny! :D I never asked you to look anything up. You asked ME to look it up. You couldn't look it up if you tried. Come on - you even told me so a few months ago.

Yeah, too bad for you that I laugh at what you write and move on. Like now. :p

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's much simpler than that. Geoghan's killer would have been confined to a single cell on death row. He would not have had access to Geoghan, thus he could not have killed him. In any jurisdiction where the death penalty was in use, this man would surely have received it. He not only had no remorse for his crime, he was proud of it.
    His previous murder.

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

Re: Re: sure i said it. it's true.

um yeah. because i make a blanket statement that even a clueless fuck like yourself should recognize. (i just think you like to argue with me "your papa") that i'm talking out of my ass.

keep laughing at me. what was your name and wera comp. number again? oh, that's right..... you are just a pathetic old man.

15. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Someone disputed a 4 to 1 ratio by saying that is wrong because it is actually just under 30%. My brain calculator says that just under 30% is pretty damn close to 4 to 1... fairly close for motorcycle board I would say.

Just some numbers I worked through on a Post It: 25% would make a 4 to 1 ratio and 33% would make a 3 to 1 ratio.

Someone check my math... I normally work with exponential notation and lots of Greek letters on a really cool calculator with stats and shit. :p

16. Are you one of those guys who says that 3 = a large value of 2? :D

The actual ratio is 3.47 to 1. My motorcycle board-level math says that this is closer to 3 to 1 than to 4 to 1.

What does your Post-It Note say to that? :)

17. This sort of "deterrence" is also known as "closing the barn door after the horse gets out."

Deterrence worked with the Soviets because they never launched nuclear missiles against us. That was the whole point of it - make the potential consequences so horrific that they didn't want to do it in the first place. That's deterrence.

If they had launched, deterrence would have failed. Destroying them in retaliation would not be deterrence.

My view is that there is no room for barbarism or atrocity in a civilized society. Apparently your view is different. I think we should cease this part of the discussion here, because I do not believe we have any common ground in this particular area.

Seems to me you are making a big assumption. I can think of several fairly recent murder convictions here in NC (where we have the death penalty), with similar levels of brutality, that did not result in death sentences. A death sentence is not automatic, even in the most brutal of crimes.

18. Much better! Didn't you say earlier that you miss Dan? For me, you're now next to Dan on my Ignore List, where you belong. You don't have to miss him anymore! :D

19. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Can you please add me to your ignore list as well?

20. No. It's so full of Brad, there's no room for you.