1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to start racing

Discussion in 'General' started by suzkman, Apr 25, 2002.

1. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

I have been riding for a year now. Started on a 98F3 and just bought a 02GSX600R. Unfortunetly, I sold the F3 and now I want to get into racing or atleast track days, but I don't want to put my new GSXR on the track just yet. I would be interested in knowing what would be a good bike to start out with. Going to a few track days first then If I like it I may get into racing it. Please let me know your thoughts. Thinking of attending RPM track day/School in May. Would like to have a bike by then. Thanks,

2. James#306

James#306 Backmarker Extraordinaire

GS500 BABY!
    :D

3. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

What price range would I be looking at for a GS500 race ready?

4. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

Kinda been looking at the SV650, but haven't found a race ready for the price range I want to stay in..

5. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Depends...

Mostly stock with safety wire...$750
    Slightly modified (pipe, jet kit, fork springs, shock)...$1000
    More than slightly modified with a bunch of spares and really clean...$1300

Of course, these are just estimates.

YMMV

6. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

Know of any pics of GS500 that is race ready. Also, know of any articales on this bike? Not really familar with this model, but that's why I posted, so I could get a good feeling of what would be best. thanks for the info...

7. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Quick rundown...

The GS is old school technology. 500 cc, parallel twin, 2 valves per cylinder. 40 hp stock and 370 pounds or so. Not competetive in any class in WERA but legal in 6 (I think, going from memory). They are cheap to buy, cheap to run, and cheap to crash (unless you're James).

With your F3 and GSXR background, you might wonder WTF you're doing on such a lame ass piece of crap.

IMHO, I think the GS is great fun, easy to ride, and easy to maintain. Best dollar to fun ratio available.

Check out www.gstwin.com
    go to www.micapeak.com and look for the GS Twin mailing list.

8. James#306

GSs are all about corner speed, which is a good thing since thats about the only place they are "compeditive".

Even if you are used to more capable bikes, a GS can be lots of fun and trust me, you can still scare yourself on one.

And as you Greg said, they are a very economical way to get on the track.

Check out www.gstwins.com for some info on racing the GS and you can search the net and come up with a few more.

9. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

What price range are you looking in? Lots of people race on a budget, so its not impossible. And don't forget that racing is racing, you don't need a big bike to have fun. Here are some other bikes to consider:

EX500 - $1500 to @2500
    Honda Hawk - $2000 to $3000
    SV650 - $3500 to $6500
    600F2 - $2000 to $3500

Older models are cheaper, and some still competetive. And parts are readily available for all of them (SV used parts are in high demand tho'). The Hawk is now clubman legal is superstock form, and is a great all-around bike.

10. jamaha

jamaha Member

They seem to be leaving out a few models. Perhaps there is some personal bias here.

The standard advice is to start on a lightweight bike (like the SV you mentioned). There are many good ones available on which to learn that can be had for very low prices. The Kawasaki EX500 (liquid cooled, eight valve parallel twin), Honda Hawk 650 (like an SV but 10 years older) or the FZR400 (inline four with good power and great handling). Good examples of all these can be found for under $3,000 dollars. The EX500 and Hawk are eligeable for more classes than the FZR400. They are all great bikes to learn on. The Newbie Roadracer FAQ has a rundown of all these bikes and alot of other good info.

http://www.io.com/~duke/newrrfaq.htm

Have you considered YSR racing? :)

11. James#306

Blastphemy!!!!!

hey now. We are trying to convert a heathen to THE ONE TRUE BIKE!!

Back off!!! ;)

12. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

Glad you mentioned the YSR. I have been looking at that aswell. I have looked at the aprilia250, Yamaha125/250, and Honda125/250. the Yam is pretty pricey even an old one compared to the Aprilia. Thanks, for the info. I will definetly look into all of them.

13. RandyD

RandyD Zoinks!!!

I forgot to mention the FZR400, that's a great bike too. They just don't seem to be as plentiful anymore. But plenty of parts available.

YSR racing is great fun (I've tried it -- woohoo!!), but I got turned off when I saw the price of the bikes. A good stock one can run well over $1000, and one with lots of goodies can be over $2000. For that I can get an EX and skip racing at little go-kart tracks. The plus side is that everything is cheaper -- parts, tires, entry fees. And they crash good too!

14. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Hehe, sounds like the Posse is trying to make a hard sell :p

Basically, the SV, EX, and GS are your most common bikes, and the cost generally runs from SV being more expensive to GS being likely the cheapest.

Then you have your "one hit wonders" as I like to call them. These are the Hawks and FZR's. Both were imported starting in 88, the Hawk stopped in 89, the FZR made it all the way till 90. There are still plenty of these bikes around in the racing circles, but I dunno if you are going to run into any problems getting parts (my guess is no) due to production shortage.

You can of course get a Duc 750SS and let the clubman guys whine about ya ;)

Just remember, the costs of owning and using a race bike usually far exceeds the cost to buy it :p

15. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

Haven't been able to find a race ready SV for 3,500.00. I've been looking though. Just no luck I guess. I had an aquentiance that had a 01SV650s that had 2500miles and sold it for 4,000, but with my luck I found out afterward that he even had it.

16. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

I think with $3500 you can get the following :

Stock SV

Very nicely race prepped FZR or Hawk w/ lots of spares

Very nicely race prepped EX or GS w/ lots of spares and $1500-$2000 to put toward safety equipment

17. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

I don't thing I want to start in the 600cc sport class. I heard it was elbow to elbow and they would run into and over you. In other words people are telling me that this class has drivers that are trying to drive way beyond there abilities.

18. Guoseph

Guoseph Soil Sampler

Well you are in luck, every suggestion so far in this thread is a LW bike except the F2 :)

19. suzkman

suzkman Active Member

I like the FZR hadn't thought about that one either. I will see if I can find one, but from what I have read so far there may not be many to choose from..

20. novice201

novice201 "I'm a robot chicken!"

Either the FZR or the Hawk can be reasonably competitive in a couple classes with a decent rider and are cheap to run. Check out Road Racing World classifieds or the one on this forum for deals. I've seen race prepped versions of either for 2000-3500 depending on what's in them.
    I'm a pure novice racer but a long time street rider, I diced with a FZR400 for a few laps on Saturday at Summit. Except for the straights he was just as fast as my SV (mostly cause I'm so damn slow) :) The SV is a great bike with lots of support available, but dunno what you want to spend on a trackbike.
    There are lots of old CBRF2-3 racebikes around also near the 3000 mark, but they will not be competitive in the classes they can run. Off season you could probably pick up a few year old 600 GSXR, ZX6, or F4 raceprepped already for 3000-4000.
    Another idea is to get race body work and a dinged up tank for your bike, revalve the shock and fork and go at it. Cost you near the same as buying a track bike in the long run. The 600 classes are really competitive and pretty fast, so you might want to consider this idea carefully. Hope to see ya out there, it's a great time. Happy hunting!