1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want stock gearing back

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jack Brock, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

I have a 2008 CBR1000rr. It came stock with a 190/50 rear and the gearing at the track was great. I got race rubber in a 190/55 rear, and the gearing is now off quite a bit. What would get me back close to stock? 2 teeth up in the rear? Hoping for a quick answer. I can probably measure and figure out a formula, but that would take time:)

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The diameter (and possibly the circumference) of the tire increased by 5% (50 vs 55 profile). I would add enough teeth on the back to negate the 5% increase in tire size. Whatever your current ratio is, increase it by 5% and you should be good. I think.

What is your current sprocket set up? Find that ratio and increase the number of rear teeth until the ratio is 5% higher than you started.

3. Jack Brock

Jack Brock Well-Known Member

Thanks for thinking this through for me, you probably saved me a headache. 2 teeth up in the rear wins!

4. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

This logic fails my sanity check-o-meter.

50 to 55 is not a 5% increase, it's 10%, and that's per side, but it's only of the tire height, not the wheel.

Switching to rad for simplicity:

17" rim = 8.5" rad

tire height, 190/50 = 3.74" rad
    tire height, 190/55 = 4.11" rad

8.5+3.74 = 12.24" (190/50, total wheel+tire radius)
    8.5+4.11 = 12.61" (190/55, total wheel+tire radius)

12.61 - 12.24 = .37

.37/12.24 = .0302 = 3.02% increase in rad/dia/circumference/gear ratio

On the flip side a 55 might grow a little more at higher speeds, further reducing the gear ratio, so maybe 5% isn't a bad number, but still... the logic bugged me. :D

5. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

All the math in the world doesn't make two tire mfgs make their 190/55 tires the same size. Only way to know for sure is to measure the circumference of the old and the new tire...at speed. :D

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Dude, I was a music major dropout. I couldn't even succeed at something that dropouts did for a living. Math is beyond me sometimes.

If I had typed 10% would that have made it better? I like how you went with it, it makes a lot of sense to me (the music school dropout). Yet I still got close to the 5% magic number...

7. F. Richard Head

F. Richard Head Davie's "Daddy"

Hehe... It would have passed the sanity check-o-meter, but then I would have had issue with the fact that the change neglects the rim dia.

From this exercise, I'd say it's probably safe to conclude that a 50/55 change within the same tire width alters gearing by 3-5%. Once you change tire width, then I'd have to re-run the whole process. No. I'm not going to do it. I'm going to resist. My wife is already making fun of me.

:D

And now that I see my article quoted, it's a decrease in gear ratio as mechanical advantage is lost. Simply put, taller tire needs more rear teeth. :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  8. Crows350

Crows350 Crows350

Simply put, taller tire needs more rear teeth. :D[/QUOTE]

Let's Calculate the vast amount of time involved in this group Master-calculation session...but quickly, time is of the essence. Just put the sprocket on there and run it. It's not that deep. I would recommend a leak down test and getting the rear sprocket blueprinted for sure. It's the only way to really know what's going on back there.

9. NC Jon

NC Jon Can I change my name?

gearingcommander.com