1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR1000 for sale.

Discussion in 'General' started by Silo Pete, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Awesome.

Price seems in line. These things are crazy rare at this point.

3. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

i think on the badweather board one of them went to look and it is severely misrepresented. cool none the less. overpriced for sure.
    tim

4. Br1anbuck

Br1anbuck Well-Known Member

Didn't one of these go up in flames at Road Atlanta one year?

5. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

He should have advertised on the WERA Classifieds and saved some coin. :D

6. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

$1.25 that's my final offer and 25 cents more than it's worth.

7. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

The last time one was for sale (street one) I was dynoing a bike for Mike Smith and I showed him the ad "pretty cool huh?!" I said. He looked at the ad, rolled the toothpick in his mouth around a bit, looked at me and said "why you want one of those piece o' shits?"
    Hahahaha

Next time he came to the shop he brought me an autographed poster of him on it. Back of the poster was Picotte.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

Sure did, I was there specating. 1998 I think.

Thomas Stevens was the rider? Highsided going under the bridge going down the hill. Hell of a mess.

IIRC, the street version of this bike was $50K new.

9. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

10. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

When did you become the Harley expert? :Poke:

11. pkaustin

pkaustin Well-Known Member

Thomas Wilson perhaps?

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Considering how overpriced one of their circa-1950's technology "new" bikes is, it makes sense that this would cost that much.

13. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

This thread is more interesting than that bike.

14. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I watched Russel (I'm pretty sure it was him) throw one of those down at the end of the straight at mid ohio. He didn't seem too pleased with that bike.

15. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I still have my Mike Smith poster with him on the VR. Sure looks good even if it wasn't! I still remember standing in line at WERA registration, Rd Atl, talking to Mike. Good guy.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Shop I used to stop at on my way back from sports cycle products bought one for the son to ride. I was friends enough with the dad to shoot the shit with while the kid was "tuning" that pig on the *dyno. The son finally blew up at me and the dad when I told him that "it sounded like a '73 maverick with a JC whitney exhaust." Banned for life (or whenever the kid was there). :D
    I don't think he ever raced it and never saw anyone else riding it.

*first dyno I ever remembered seeing in a small shop. This was way before the interwebs and even cell phones.

17. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

When Ru$$ell was riding for HD I swear he was trying to knock parts off the bike so he could park it. His warm-up laps were quite a show.

18. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

I'll never forget Russell coming in form his first lap at daytona on it still wearing his yamaha leathers. The look on his face and him shaking his head werent good signs

For the record,that one looks hammered. Still has the pile o shit wildwood brakes on it

19. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I remember those racing in AMA (we were racing 250gp at the time). Watched the one burn on the hill at Atlanta - wow! What a crash! Mike Barnes finished 3rd at Daytona on a 250 yam using VR1000 forks grafted on the bike. Cool project to see at the time.

20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Y'all talk all the shit you want but I think it's cool as shit and a piece of history.

Not to mention restore one and sell it off to Barber or another collector and build one for yourself to look at and still have a shit ton of spares...

One thing about H-D purpose built "race bikes" is that they will always have value.

Hell you can't touch a decent XR750 for under 20k...

Back when I was running AHRMA DT there would be dudes with 40-50k in replaceable vintage WR's and KR's just beating the shit out of them:)