1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin Islands

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

What's the best island...best spots to visit. Looking to plan a trip there this winter for the wife's graduation present. Any recommendations, we've never been?

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

St. John. Rent a house off vrbo.com.
    Don't even bother with St Thomas. Take a day trip on a fastboat to the BVI's. Go to the Baths it's pretty cool.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No idea.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

How does St. John compare to St. Thomas? I spent a few days in St. Thomas but didn't go to St. John.

7. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

8. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

My sister went to Jost Van Dyke for her honeymoon. From what she said it is the least touristy of the lot. Quiet, no cars, pretty beach, good bar...but not for people seeking wild nightlife.

9. LabRat

LabRat Well-Known Member

Spent a week on Jost Van Dyke and a few days on Tortola and it was really cool in 2008, laid back. Think we spent a few too many days on JVD, we ran out of things to do other than to be beach bum, still had a lot of fun, but think I could have explored more on other islands. Most of the smaller islands are too small to spend several days (4+) on, however the smaller islands I find are better. I would charter a crewed boat if I went back, that way if you find a place you like you can moor for a day or more or move on. The good captains can pick up on your vibe well and will be able to tailor your trip well.

It depends on what you are looking for, party or the no-problem laid back Caribbean.

Places I would visit again/want to see: Devils Bay/The Baths on Virgin Gorda, Anegada, JVD (Foxys, Ivans, Soggy Dollar, etc, etc), Bomba Shack (+++ Full moon party!), Snorkeling/diving at Norman Island

Best purchase: The Drinking Mans Guide to the Virgin Islands. Lots of free drinks/coupons/etc. Paid ~$20 for it and saved 10X that, and we didnt scratch the surface of what it was good for.

10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

To me they were the same, as are most of the carribean islands. A quiet, laid back atmosphere with nice beaches.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

In December I spent two weeks in the VI splitting my time between the USVI and BVI. I enjoyed the time we spent in the BVI but the US dollar is so weak right now everything costs double. St. John was our favorite place because it was in the USVI, the accommodations were reasonable, people were almost all friendly, beaches were deserted. It was a great starting point for excursions because it sits right in the middle of anything you would want to see anyway. St Thomas is kind of like being in a tropical slum. I'm a big guy so I normally feel safe anywhere. I just felt like we were being watched very closely by the locals at certain times to be taken serious advantage of, it just seemed seedy to me.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I never felt unsafe in St. Thomas. But that was 10 years ago.

13. speedluvn

Were you off the beaten tourist path?

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Somewhat. It just seemed to me that there were a lot of twenty somethings standing around with nothing to do but watch what we were doing. The Island was also dirty compared to others we visited in the same vicinity. It just seemed a little seedy to me. I have traveled the Caribbean pretty extensively with my wife. We make at least one trip a year to the area for at least ten days. We have been to probably 30 different islands in the past ten years so I feel like I have a good knowledge of the behaviors of the locals. We felt perfectly safe in the tourist areas, but once we got anywhere out of those areas it just made me a little nervous. My point is that if I had to pick an island to visit in the USVI and going from my experiences I would go to St John. Another Island I would never go back to is St. Lucia. Talk about sketchy!

15. speedluvn

Thats what I thought. The locals were probably wondering what you were doing there themselves outside of the tourist areas.

16. vance

vance *

Got engaged in St Maarten about 6 yrs ago. Small island, about 37 miles end to end iirc. Rented a jeep at the airport and just drove around. 300+ small beaches, so we rented a dingy (sp? Small rubber boat), snorkel gear and just cruised around the island. Great jewelry shopping there.

17. 772emerson

772emerson Well-Known Member

St John's is awesome but doesnt have the same shopping or thieves and crooks as St Thomas. I would pick St. John's and ferry to St Thomas. Tortola is also very sweet but customs is more of a pain...(at least by boat anyway) I've been to almost all the islands and St. John's is my favorate. Good luck and watch for thieves is St Thomas and St Croix.

18. 772emerson

772emerson Well-Known Member

Forgot about St Maarten and St. Barts. Smaller but epic

19. speedluvn

What do they look like? :rolleyes:

20. ZxMoke

ZxMoke Well-Known Member

Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin islands, they were just "the islands" after he left.