1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vinyl Fence

Discussion in 'General' started by etemplet, May 20, 2013.

1. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

Hello All, I have been looking at vinyl fence for my yard. I want to do 3 rail. I found one company, only one product that I am comfortable with but the shipping has always been the deal breaker. (I can get this stuff for $4.00 per foot) I need at least 800 feet.

I have roughcut treated pine across the front of my property and it has held up very very well. I wanted to get away from the painting which I don't do very often (laziness).

I am interested in hearing of experience with vinyl fencing and any recommendations. I am going to install it myself of course. I want something that is going to last a long long time.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

I have vinyl fence and it sucks it. After a while it gets brittle and then all it take is a small hail storms (common here) and my fence looks like a colander.

3. SmokeDog34

SmokeDog34 Well-Known Member

Mold . If you don't like painting , your not going to like pressure washing this thing either .

4. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Fella down the street from me has vinyl fence. He tells me he cleans it a couple times a year by using a garden sprayer filled with bleach. Checks weather, sprays it down with bleach when it's supposed to rain, then lets nature do the work. I've never seen him out there with a pressure washer, so it must work good enough.

5. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

My next door neighbor put up one around his large yard. What an eye sore, looks like giant plastic toy.

Their house is on the North side of us, so we got blinded by the sun's reflection from their fence. Much worse than a typical white painted fence.

I ended up spending thousands of dollars and several weekends planting trees and contained bamboo areas to block it out (area is on shale, and VERY tough to dig and grow anything). My neighbor on the other side of his fence also spent a fortune on trees and shrubs. He even offered to pay for a wooden fence, but was turned down. Needless to say, both of us were pretty pissed.

What ever you do, it's always best to talk to your neighbor before you put anything up on the boarder. Unless you just want to piss them off.

6. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

why not look at composite wood

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

What is the purpose of the fence?

8. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Avoid vinyl at all costs. the stuff doesn't hold up well and always looks cheap.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have to agree with the oversized dude.

10. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Dog eared wood.

Replace every 15 years.

Vinyl looks like fisher price toy shit.

11. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

My dad had his vinyl fence installed at least 10 years ago and it has actually held up great. I don't think I've ever seen any of it damaged and we do get nasty storms around here. I don't remember seeing any mold and I've never seem him wash it but I'm not exactly there super often either. I don't know what brand or anything he got, but I would think he's pretty happy with it. Also I've never noticed that it looks real shiny-do they come in different amounts of gloss or something?

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Kansas has a slightly different climate than Louisianna.

13. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I pass by two every time I leave my place, one is really nice, I see that guy washing it every other month or so it seems (he has a whole gas pressure washer with a water tank mounted on a trailer he pulls behind his Gator), the other is fkn Green, use to see them cleaning it, but seems they have grown tired of that, sad thing is they had a really nice wood fence before, it was that black painted wood, I remember when they were taking it down I wanted to stop and buy it and put it up at my place..should have, cuz the had a massive bonfire one day.

14. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

My mom put a 125' section of three-rail vinyl fencing along the road frontage of her "lake estate." She did it to keep the asshole neighbors from driving across the property when the gravel road got muddy. The fence has lookd like shit since Day 1. It was never straight, and the rails crack and break every winter. It is all stained and dingy looking.

Use wood. That's why God made it in long pieces.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I've thought about putting up some of those vinyl privacy panels so I don't have to paint them. Now I'm not so sure :(

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way I'd do one in Georgia, like Britt said they go green. I already have to wash the house once a year, at least a fence can be painted every 5+.

17. etemplet

Well, the fence actually looks very nice ( the sent me a sample) and it is not a gloss finish. It is strong enough for livestock use, has some kind of titanium material that keeps it from getting brittle and it also has 2 stiffeners inside the board section. Has a lifetime warranty. They also provided me with the address of a fence that was installed in my area. I"ll have to take a ride over the check it out again as it has been a few years. I see a good number of vinyl type fences in my area, some go on and on. I'm gonna stop by and talk to the people and of course they will think I am crazy. LOL

As for the reason I"m putting it up. I have a 25 year old barbed wire fence and rusty posts on the sides of my property. I've been planning on changing it out for years and have had my eye open. as with this group, you get different experiences.

I was hoping to hear from someone that loved their fence and could tell me where they bought it. LOL But, all information and input is good. I don't mind cleaning the fence. As I mentioned I have about 400' of wood fence across the front of my property.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  18. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

It is my profession. Call me (pm for #) if you want my opinion and some vendors.

19. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I buy units of 10/12 ft 4x4 sections every month and use them in the sign industry. We have hundreds of them all over NC -SC. I havnt experienced any of the mold problems at all. I can put you in touch with our vendor as well.
    They are a national chain.

We've been using this product for 12 years.

20. etemplet

PM's sent. I'm gonna try to get something going pretty soon.