1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage V8 question

Discussion in 'General' started by sportracer07, Nov 30, 2019.

1. sportracer07

sportracer07 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I am currently running v8 middle weight and c superstock classes. I am thinking about upgrading to a newer machine.. I was reading the rulebook for the V8 class and it says, (must be 12 years old or older as well as the exact same model of a newer year but unchanged in every way other than graphics). So what from I have heard the 08 to 16 R6 is unchanged in those years, does that mean I could run say a 13 or 14 model R6 in vintage V8? How new could I go?

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

12 years...pretty sure this has been discussed before and Mongo has the definitive answer. Unless you bribe him with pecan pies...

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You have to be sure they are 100% the exact same bikes. Even minor fairing changes or the like will make it illegal. Any change at all other than colors makes it a different bike for the purpose of these rules.

4. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Ok, so the 2010 1190 rc8r and all years rc8rr (track only model) were identical to the 2009 rc8r released in Europe, the rc8r (street going machine) received heavier cheaper wheels in 2011, and 2012 and on received twin spark heads and slipper clutches. Does that mean that the 2010 street and all track only models would qualify in 2020 for v8 heavy weight? Asking for a friend.

5. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

No...because 2020 minus 12 years = 2008...not 2009 (like your posts states).

Yes if the bikes you're asking about are identical to the 2008. :D

Sabre699 and tdelegram like this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Um, no. Maybe in 2021. When we get to that point I'll need more info on the "track only models" and what mods were made from the street bikes.

7. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Track only model was sold 2010 and on and remained unchanged from the day it started. It was basically the 2010 street chassis and motor without the street going items (keyed ignition, anti theft, lights, horns ECU relocated), plus case covers and track plastics, I think it had a 520 chain conversion as well. It also came with Brembo front pads that bite harder than the street. The chassis and motor are all based in the 2009 rc8r that was released in Europe. There might have been a 2009 track model in Europe but I do let know for sure.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay so 2021 at the absolute earliest and more likely 2022.

9. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

08-16 is not technically all the same, airbox differences in the 08-09 and the '16 forks are not the same length (from the factory) as the 08-15.

That said, it should be 08 and the 09 grandfathered given the old V8 rules (assuming rules remain the same), then 2010-15, then 2016, then 2017-current.

Granted, given the superbike rules, there's a lot that you could do in that class. For example, with the ZX6, if you really wanted to, you can buy a 2020 ZX6, swap a 2009-12 frame on it, and have a bike with traction control and all that shit. Granted the '09 wouldn't be allowed until 2021, but you see the point. You could also do that with the '17+ R6 and swap a 06/07/08/09 frame and accomplish the same thing.

That said, regardless of path chosen, it's still a whole lot of work for a sportsman class and to be honest, none of that work is really worth it for a vintage class where 90% of the participants couldn't benefit from the 08+ R6 from the 06-07 R6.

Edit: Let Tom run his damn RC8...them things are turds anyways and hell, it doesn't even run half the time it's at the track.... :D I know I told him that I wouldn't protest him in our texts and I'm serious about that. Given the choice between a RC8 or a 2005 ZX10 or GSXR1000, I'd take either Jap bike over that pig...

Whole lot more thought on the subject, but there's no point in discussing it beyond this when it won't go anywhere.

tdelegram likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Pretty sure that SBK rules require the engine and chassis to match(year/model type, not serial#), otherwice that is Formula/GP modifications

11. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Like I said, swapping in a '20 R6 motor into a '06 R6 frame is good to go by SBK rules. And you could swap in a 13+ 636 motor into the 09-12 platform.

12. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

I have a feeling V8 is going to have a lot of R6’s in it next year.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

How could that possibly be? They are not the same motor?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When we're talking year limits I'd have to have at least proper era cases.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's what I was wondering :D