1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage Rules for 2018 Bikes not points

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kenessex, Oct 6, 2017.

1. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Ok. Name 1 person you talked to that owns a V7 bike thats not racing it?
    You dont have time cause thats what you told me when i suggested all vintage guys have a sit down with you at a race.
    Would you like a list of bikes for sale too?
    Instead of being you when it comes to me why dont you help find a solution?
    V8 was proposed and its starting to grow.
    V7 class has bikes that can be bought cheap.
    Why not figure out how to make class grow instead of going after me?
    Is this not in Weras best interest?
    Adding more guys to class according to you is not in my best interest cause it can hurt my goals.
    Yet here i am.
    So what side his your ego on Sir?
    I get it you don't like me.
    Im good with that.
    As ive said when you see me in person you can tell me anything you like.
    But why dont you at least try and figure out what the vintage guys want to help grow grids and grow Wera?
    Have a great day.

Steven Isenhower #52

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did a Thruxton only class at a number of events for a while - event the hard core Thruxton riders didn't show to them...

3. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

That doesn't surprise me. I never expect a thruxton grid. This was more of a question of is there a place they could be indexed in. Just an idea to index them into an existing class, if they do not show than nothing was wasted. If they do show, then they can have a place to race the same day as the rest of us vintage racers. It helps us with planning a weekend. That way we can all leave on saturday, or if we want stay and race sunday. (I have stayed for clubman with my v1 bike before) If not possible, that is fine. It does play a factor in us planning our race schedule for the year.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't keep a list however I talk to the handful of V7 riders all the time in person and online.
    I never said that - I said I'm not wasting my time listening to YOU yet again.
    I have been trying to find solutions for years.
    Yes V8 is growing. Had 2 more total riders in MW and 5 more in HW this year compared to last.
    Who said V7 was a money issue?
    I only go after you when you insist you know everything about vintage racing and what will work even when you've been prove wrong repeatedly.
    No, changing rules just so you're happy is not in WERA's best interest. We need riders going after regional championships and racing for fun, your proposal will NOT change regional turnouts no matter how much you insist otherwise. Your proposal would award people more points for lesser finishes. The current structure encourages people to go to more events to try and get the elusive 20 points for a win.

No point in responding to more of the same shit...

My ego has nothing to do with anything. WERA growing would be better for my ego than arguing the same stupid shit with you all the time. You're the one with the ego issue pulling in any time you can't win a race. Normal racers stay out and work on going faster, you come here bitching that I should give you 120 points anyway going into the GNF so it's winner take all. I've offered to change it to winner take all but then you bitch about that too. You make no sense at all.

What the majority of Vintage guys want is to go to a handful of huge events a year. They want to be the main show. That is not something I can offer them anywhere other then VMD. It's a lot like the 250GP guys running AMA pro and when they weren't part of the big show they stopped racing even though I offered them a National class.

Hell you are an absolutely perfect example of the modern mindset for Vintage racing. If you can't win you get pissed and pull in the pits. If you can't win you don't go to the GNF. You've flat out said it on here repeatedly. Your ego won't take less than a win and a championship so if you can't get that you stay home and bitch about how it's all my fault for not listening to you.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll have to look but even as slow as they are they're just too new to put into any of the Saturday Vintage stuff off the top of my head. I could of course - but at what point do we stop even calling them vintage and just make up some other classes for older/slower bikes? (not a bad idea really....have to think on that more) Anyway, I'll look at it - if you would email me a reminder too. [email protected]

6. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

1996-1997 SRAD 750 - carbs
    1998-1999 SRAD 750 - EFI
    2000 750 = no longer SRAD ("Y" model, the "K" started in 2001)
    1997-2000 SRAD 600 - Carbs, conventional forks
    2001-2003 600 - EFI = no longer SRAD - conventional forks (inverted forks in 2004-2005 model)

7. 90kacoupe

I guess I have a different mentality since I am slow, but I just want to race with somebody so modern/vintage, does not matter to me. If lap times are similar, then I do not care what we call the class and what is in it. I'm sure other people disagree so take that as a grain of salt. I'm just new racer that wants track time and get to race with my buddies.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Totally understand and nothing wrong with that at all.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that's not actually helping. How about we ignore the marketing hype over the ram air and just tell me what year/size he wants to race :D

10. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Well it obvious you dont read what i write.
    I pulled in cause 2nd place points pay same as last towards GNF.
    Same reason i let myself get lapped at Tally when i was only one on grid to prove you sold points for showing up with no turn out.
    Now if all points paid towards GNF then i would have stayed out and hit other races.
    Why would i waste more money when after 2 2nd places finishes in each class and no chance to make up points?
    Yep no reason.
    But you cost Wera money by only counting 6 best.
    Maybe just maybe these old vintage bikes may have a few problems when on track.
    But hey we know its about helping me.
    Look forward to next yr.

Steven Isenhower #52

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I seem to recall some Thruxtons being on the track with V5 and they weren't much faster than the 250s (at Tally).

Harry is fast, let them run V4 :D

12. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

There FI with olins UD forks and a lot faster now.... 80 plus ponies...

13. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

You still completely dodged my question, I'm guessing because you know I'm right when it comes to my estimation. I've already offered my solution, yet again, you chose to ignore it. I don't agree with how WERA is ran with a lot of things, but I really see why Sean has all but given up on debating with you. You ignore what we say, never reading what anyone outside of your view point says.

I don't have the numbers, numbers being average total combined number of vintage racers (V7 and below), but this is what I would do. I would take one step back from just this topic, and fix a multitude of the systemic problems I believe WERA has.

- Dump the solo races, the original intention of those things are gone and they are overpriced for the seat time you get. Replace that with practice for modern bikes.
    - Vintage races would not take place at every single regional round. Instead, I would cut the weekends in half, but on those other weekends, they are double headers for Vintage guys. So while the "modern" bikes have practice, they have races. Basically, the same setup as Thursday at this years GNF. This way, the vintage guys travel less, and race the same amount.
    - Look at the average lap times of each class, and merge those with similar times together. I'm not saying exactly the same, but you guys talking about the days of "Over 500cc, under 500cc" type thing. Get more bikes on grid. Do you feel at a disadvantage? Sorry, news flash: Your bike isn't as competitive as another machine. Obviously this can be tailored and refined as needed (lap times, number of riders, etc etc, none of this has to be set in stone forever). As both a V8 racer, and "modern" bike racer, I can say I believe it's a true waste of time to see a billion vintage classes circulating on track with 2 bikes on it. If anything else, you guys could run 3 or 4 damn races at the same time. Hell that would work too. Put the fast bikes up front, 2 wave, do what you gotta do or whatever.

I am 50/50 of the idea of having V8 just a single class, no MW or HWT. Just V8. I still don't think there's enough bikes yet, nor do I believe the V8 lap times are different enough to justify two separate classes. Then again, I cut my teeth in the 600 super stock class, so I am used to a ton of bikes on grid.

The whole points for regional/national thing is a moot point. I can see someone could "take advantage" of any point system. There isn't a system that's perfect, I could find a flaw in anything. Then it's just a matter of "I like this way because it indirectly helps me".

Lastly, fun fact. You don't have to put your name at the end of each post. We know who ya are, the whole username thing kind of makes it a given... :D

14. 90kacoupe

Yes the new water cooled 1200cc Thruxtons are much faster. They are not allowed in the Thruxton Cup.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Interesting take on the solos - they're more laps per dollar than anything but a practice day.

I like the idea of trying to mix the vintage into modern more on DH weekends but have to look at that - it would most likely force us to one round of practice in the morning. Not sure how you're thinking we'd do that like GNF Thursday, that was an entire day and it still didn't pay for itself. Guessing your idea about more combining would help this.

Never been a fan of one race and points in multiple classes. Confuses the hell out of everyone.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, it'd have to be the 900s only if anything.

17. Wheel Bearing

How do you mean? For example, V8 typically is typically the 3rd class with whatever it's attached to (Formula 1 exp/nov, BSS exp/nov, etc). That's what transponders are for. Besides, confuses the hell out of who? If there's only 2-3 guys per class racing, combining 3 classes for a total of 8-10 riders can't be any more confusing than any single normal class race.

From a management perspective, I can see the obvious. There's just not enough vintage riders to justify all the different classes. The total combined entries from those classes don't justify the track time they soak up. Time to merge something.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm talking about running V8 HW if it's combined with F1 and getting points in V8 and F1. I think however you may be talking about putting the smaller V classes with the smaller modern classes on the same day.

I don't disagree on the rest.

19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I've think I've mentioned that in the past, V5 and V6LW could certainly run with some of the modern DH classes.

20. Wheel Bearing

Not what I meant, sorry it came off that way.