1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vhs Photo Rocks!!!! E-tech Photo Blows

Discussion in 'General' started by freels22, Dec 7, 2007.

1. also......i'm fully aware of Vicky's equipment which includes a 400mm 2.8 L.......and the amount of work she does...........i wouldn't really consider her as a weekend warrior do YOU????

except for the fact that she is a very dedicated to her work and CLIENTS.

enough said about that.

2. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I DO NOT REPRESENT VHS, AND MY THOUGHTS ARE NOT HERS BUT MY OWN OPINIONS :D

I meant time as in that weekend.... not length of time shooting.

When I say quantity I mean 30-60 or more photos from several corners on the track, over the course of the weekend PER RIDER. For most of these photogs they will come close to 1-2 images of a rider per lap turned over the course of the weekend for EVERY rider, depending on if they use more than one photographer.

30 images of similar composition in the same corner CAN help though for some of us. Help see consistancy, or lack thereof.

Since this thread was praising VHS, and doging another similar type of photog... I will use her as an example.

On an most weekends she has two cameras going in two different corners at all times. Depending on the track both cameras will move from session to session. That provides ALOT of feedback as a rider using the photos as a tool. Also as she said if you request a specific composition she can accomodate as well.

I understand your point of setting up a batch contrast adjustment. But that cant really be done for THOUSANDS of photos, from varying times of the day and from varying angles and such, and not F' up a ton of them.

Their type of photography gets good overall photography, while maintaining the quantity their customers expect and want.

Believe me, they have tried to shoot less, and get more artistic angles and compositions........ and the customers "complained" (I use that term very loosely.

You have explained somewhat to me how your shoots work (elsewhere). That and looking at your photos it is plain to see.

It is NOT an attack at you, it is in defense of these photographers.

It is just a different game. You told me you work mostly as a private photographer for a small group of bikes. It is MUCH easier to shoot "perfect" photos of a handfull of bikes....... as well as hunt for the artsy cool compositions, and play with photometry and such with them when you are shooting 5 bikes, than it is to do with 500 bikes.

But shooting 5 bikes, you have to charge more for your type of images than they do.

Dont get me wrong Tony. I LOVE your photos, but it is just a different game. And calling theirs crap is what I thought was crass. VHS has photos that are just as good as yours, taken when she had the time to do so, and even without any post processing. But that is just not feasable with the volume that is expected of her and her type.

I spent some time defending you on JGP, and now I find myself on the other side of the same discussion here :crackup: .

You take phenominal photos........ but I challenge you to put out the quantity that some of these photogs do, and turn out anything any better than they do, ON THE SPOT. Shoot several thousand photos and burn them to disks and send them out. No processing..... they have to satisfy the customer straight out of the camera........ and you have to have the quantity for ALL of the possible customers, just just a handfull of them. It cant be easy. I know....... I have shot for her a handfull of times (she throws out alot of my photos :crackup:......... I blame it on her gear :D )

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  3. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Then you know what a pain in my ass it was when she FORGOT her damn monopod...... guess who became a human bi-pod :lol

4. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Didnt think you would, and thus my appology stands.... :beer:

I dont think I have so much asked what you do, or how you do it per se. But more on what you offer (asked over at JGP) as at the time I thought YOUR service might have been one I was interested in.

5. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I get lucky every now and then though...... :D

Stock Digital Rebel, taken with one of Vickis "baby lenses" :crackup: in full panic mode (considering moments earlier I was focused 100 or so ft-----------> that way :p )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  6. BRO.... you took my comment completely out of context........when I say crap, i'm talking about the photog out on track with a damn point and shoot, which is why i made the comparison between the weekend warrior and the working pro.

dude i'm fully aware of the difference for my type of shooting versus the photographers you are compelled to defend.

that being said............if I were to set up an infrastructure that could handle that type of work load.......like the one i work with occasionally with kids softball/football images in Jacksonville...that have expressed INTEREST with motorcycle racing/track days.......whom have on hand multiple monitors for clients to view and on site printing and disc copies for about the same price range.........with a huge computer processor....etc...etc..

with my two bodies, 2 lens.......i would take your challenge

:D :D :D

7. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

REad further :p

Im bored in a hotel room and got long winded :crackup.

I steped up for you against the evil JGP photog..... so im not compelled to defend any one type of photog :beer:

8. now that being said..........all the photogs you are defending and myself could meet up and shoot the same track/ same riders....then go from there :beer: :beer: :beer:

[​IMG]

10. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Sure, but im NOT being your monopod :nono:

11. don't use one..........

:D

[​IMG]

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

But thats a baby lense :p

Hold that one in the first pic up from 9:00am to about 6:00pm and you will, and STILL get blisters :mad:

13. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

will both of ya just shut the hell up:clap:

14. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

You bored too........ :p

15. ..........that 500mm F4 I hand hold throughout the game....it actually feels lighter than the 300mm 2.8

Now the 400mm 2.8 is a beast.....no way in hell I would try to hand hold that at a track.

16. hey jackasssssssss...............you've been Mtn biking???

17. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

jackazz:rock:

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

yeah, it sucks even on a monopod :lol

19. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

yup!! bikes been great and so has the weather. i love ft clinch even more after going back to hanna couple weeks ago

20. you should see the image Kelly took at the Jags game this weekend.....hint....jags cheerleader with wardrobe malfunction........:up:

:up: :up: :up: