1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vesrah rjl-ss Pads

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rob P, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I am in need of some new brake pads. The last set I used were the SRJL-XX pads which I liked and didn't have any major issues with. Pad life was good too although there was a drop of in performance towards the end of life. So I am re-visiting my pad choices and was looking at the SS compound, but cant find much independent feedback. Has anyone used the SS pads that can address how they feel/perform compared to the XX compound? How long is pad life? Just trying to justify the added cost vs something I am familiar with.

2. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Well, until others chime in with their experiences.....From the Kurveygirl.com website.

[​IMG]

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Pad life? Depends on how much you're braking. What bike, what pace, heavy trail braking, what track? I dig the DP Titanium pads. Why? Cuz I tried them and liked them better than all the others I've tried over the past 20 years (that's just me). You'll never know until YOU try something different. All pads drop off in performance at the end of their service life (cooks the working fluid quick). If you're set on a particular brand, stick with it and try different versions of said brand.

4. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I don't want to get apples and oranges and speculation of what may or may not be achievable. The question was limited so as to minimize the "there brakes are best comments" to try and get a straight answer. I am not looking for what I might achieve based on peoples guesses to how or what I ride. What I would like to hear are things like "I've used both sets of pads, I found the initial bite to be too strong and the power linear after that. My SS pads lasted [a little longer, a lot longer, alittle shorter, a lot shorter] than the XX pads. I find the SS pads to be a [good, poor] value for the money.

I do appreciate your feedback on the DP pads though and will look at them.

5. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Right on.

6. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Only thing I would add is that XX pad is considered as endurance pad because of extra thickness of friction material on the pad, I love them. I did not use SS pad.If I'm not mistaken SRJL-8 pad in the picture is SS pad now! Vesrahpadchar.gif

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  7. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have used several types of Vesrah pads with great success. I love the hard hit on their pads some don't but I do. Good wear and great stopping power On all of them. That's all I used the last 15 years.

Call Mitch, links in my signature he can help you out. No bs answers just straight up good info to be found there.

8. kurveygirl

kurveygirl Well-Known Member

I would like to help out to clear up some things about Vesrah pad compounds.
    • First the SRJL-8 compound is an endurance compound with less initial bite and a bit more feel. From talking with Mark Junge about the SRJL-8, he really liked that compound.
    • Second the RJL-SS compound is not the SRJL-8 compound in a new package.
    • Third, the SRJL-XX pad is not specifically an endurance pad, but do work great for that. Instead the SRJL-XX is a pad that has a bit smoother initial engagement, that then transitions into a stronger bite as lever pressure is increased.
    • Fourth, the RJL-SS version is a more powerful version of the SRJL-XX pads with greater initial bite and power.
    • Fifth, the SRJL-XX pads do not have extra thickness for endurance racing.
    • Sixth, the SRJL-X pad is an SRJL-17 compound that is overall thicker for endurance usage. In some cases to install the SRJL-X pads, the OEM shims/backing plates need to be removed.
    If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to me. I have been vending Vesrah pads for nearly 10 years.

KG/Julie

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I would basically echo this description of the SRJL-SS.

I currently have them on my 1000 which is in street trim at the moment, I've never used them on the track. I previously had SRJL-17 pads on the bike which I have used on track. What I've actually found is that I like the strong initial bite of the SRJL-17 and -SS on the street because in panic situation when you need to stop NOW I want it right there when I need. I've come to find that on track I prefer a pad with more progressive and less hard initial bite since on the track you're not trying to panic brake to a stop, you're simply adjusting your speed for the next corner turn in.

That's not to say that I wouldn't run the -SS pad on track by any means, I just don't personally like a high initial bite in that situation. Having said all that they are nevertheless awesome pads.

10. kurveygirl

In my opinion there is no one best brake pad for everyone at every track. Everyone likes something different and the RJL-SS pads are just one of many choices. The RJL-SS pads are a good choice for riders wanting braking power with reduced lever effort. But this additional power comes at a bit less feel for trail braking and the release is a bit less smooth. The SRJL-XX pads work well at tracks that require more trail braking and brake modulation while leaned over. I have received feedback that the SRJL-XX is a more balanced pad overall. At the same time many riders have loved the increased performance of the RJL-SS pads.
    The big question to ask yourself, what would make you feel more confident while braking? That does not necessarily mean the most powerful pad; it could be more feel at brake release, lower lever effort, better modulation, etc. In the end, the pads need to give you the confidence to push that extra bit without any extra mental effort.
    One hard point I can share is the reports is the RJL-SS pads wear a bit better than the SRJL-XX pads do. The feedback I have received is about 10% better pad life. But as everything in life, your millage may vary based on how you use your brakes and what track you are at.
    I hope this helps you out a bit.

KG/Julie

Triple X, Pixelator and BigBird like this.
  11. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

And there you have it, straight from the source!
    Thanks Julie!

12. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

THIS!

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Something else to think about.

I have used different pads at different tracks. For example, I didn't like a really strong bite at Grattan because you car cranked over for quite a while and occasionally need a little more help scrubbing off speed. A really hard can unsettle you vs. a progressive pad.

On the other hand I like a strong pad at Road Atlanta when you are coming down the hill into 10A.

YMMV..

14. WERA 904

WERA 904 Well-Known Member

I have used them both back to back. The SS pads have an increase in braking force that you really feel the longer you brake. Going into turn one at VIR on a liter bike takes a recalibration of your braking points. With the SS pads, I felt I could let go of the brakes at marker 2 when starting at my normal braking point. I felt the XX pads had a higher initial bite which gave a feeling of higher braking force. The SS pads didn't feel like they bit as hard but after a beat, whoa, these things work! As far as longevity, both pads only last a couple of weekends now.

Smalls likes this.
  15. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

I was a long time vesrah user, i always thought I like a strong initial bite. But as I got faster I was having issues with blowing though the stroke in hard braking areas and trying to run super heavy springs to counteract this. It became a snowball effect. I went to SBS pads and lighter springs and went significantly faster mid season last year. Just some food for thought.

WERA 904 likes this.
  16. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Very odd to read this straight from the source as I have ran the XX pads in multiple bikes with a lap or two with them over the past 4 years. I initially loved the XX's (and still do), they grip great and the harder you work them the harder they bite. The problem I started having (I think after trying to refine my trail braking) is that it seems that once the XX's are biting hard, there's very little available modulation, it takes a very very fine touch, otherwise it's on/off feeling that isn't very confident inspiring as you're trail braking to the apex.

As far as pad life...they are lasting forever on my R6. Like, 2016 is my third year with these pads...

17. BDRacing

BDRacing Well-Known Member

Hi Brad
    After reading your post I'm wondering what Vesrah compound you are using, as well as what bike. The XX pads have the least initial bite of any pad Vesrah makes, and at the time they were introduced they produced the most braking power with a progressive feel. Even though the power was tremendous, the biggest "complaint" was that some riders were used to a big initial bite and they missed that. The SS pads address that issue somewhat. They do product a bigger bite than the XX although probably not quite as much as the SRJL-17 and they produce a little more braking power at the expense of a slightly shorter pad life. Mr Tamura told me that the trade-off with the newer compounds is power for longevity.

What my riders are telling me (I sponsor almost 40 now) is that on the 1000cc bikes the SS is a noticeable improvement in power. Not quite so much on the 600 unless you are at the pro level. Track day and novice racers and even most expert 600 riders use the XX with great success and a set of pads last all season for all but the fastest. If you are racing MotoAmerica then spend the extra bucks and use the SS.

Mitch

bored&stroked likes this.
  18. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Old thread revive. What is the major difference between the SS and ZZ?

[​IMG]

19. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

Just throwing this out there but worrying about pad consumption for anything other then knowing when change them for a track/race bike is kinda dumb.... I would think “feel” and performance should be number 1.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. kurveygirl

Though the feedback I have gotten from racers, the RJL-SS pads have been more popular on 1K bikes than the RJL-ZZ. The RJL-ZZ pads have worked well for lightweight bikes, and seem to be Vesrah's go to compound for those bikes. The RJL-XX is now the go-to pad for most middleweight and many 1K bikes.

But in the end, it's all about the feel and what makes you fastest. I recommend asking yourself, what would make you more confident when braking and finding the pads that work for you.

jd41 likes this.