1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve Stems - How to find size?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TD137, Aug 7, 2008.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I'm going to help my brother change the tires on his Honda Hawk GT (NT650) this weekend. One of the stems has started to leak. Is there a way to lookup or determine the right size stems without first removing them? Can he get the stems from the local autoparts store?

2. RocketRider911

RocketRider911 Well-Known Member

most steel valve stems come with both size rubber baskets so you have both sizes........and yes local store is fine

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Yours should have a .453" hole for the stem. You can get the same diameter rubber stem from almost any autoparts store but they usually carry longer stems than are standard for motorcycles. They work but sometimes are too long to get an airhose on due to the brake rotor being in the way. Most MC dealers or accessory shops will carry the shorter stems pretty cheap though. $1-$3. Or go deluxe with.......... http://kurveygirl.com

4. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

He picked up a 0.45_ from an auto store. Sounds like it should work. He's a starving college student so we were keeping our distance from dealership. Sounds like their cheap anyway. The kurveygirl stems are trick with the 90 elbow (I always burn my hand on the front rotors) but for his street bike that would be overkill. Thanks for the help.

5. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member