1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Bosch Wideband with Race Fuel

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dusty20, Mar 25, 2009.

1. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

so I have a 2009 R6 running the Bazzaz with their AFM, the sensor is ultimately made by Bosch. I have called bosch to ask them this question and they did not have a direct answer just that it will lower the life but they didn't know how much less, so i am basically looking for personal experience of how long your sensor has lasted or how long you think it may last. Am I going to get a year out of it or less.

I did a rough calculation and I run pump gas for practice then about 5 gallons of race gas on sunday, I always flush it everynight which may or may not have any effect on the o2 sensor. This season I expect to use around 60 gallons of the race fuel total.

I understand that lead will ruin an o2 sensor over time. the specific fuel msds, and tech sheet is attached, it shows that the lead content is < 1 gram per gallon which i view as pretty low.

so any ideas...

Attached Files:

2. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I'm not sure why you would want to do that, jetting wise.

However, if the race gas that you are using is unleaded, you should not have a problem. If it is leaded fuel, figure on replacing the sensor at some point. As far as when 'some point' will be....your guess is as good as mine.

<1g/gal sounds like unleaded to me, so you should be safe, at least for a while.

100LL (LL is for Low Lead) avgas is 4g/gallon and they consider that 'Low' but it is about the same as old 'regular' pump gas used to be.

I'm not sure what wide band sensors cost these days, but I would jet the bike and then go back to open loop and get the sensor (and the restriction it causes) the hell out of there.

As always....YMMV

3. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Leaded fuel does kill it faster, how much? every case is different. Unleaded won't kill it as thats like normal gas but it does have some more chemicals that can shorten life.

I run C12/C16 thru my turbo van and the wideband is still good after 1 year and the ox sensor is 5 years old and still good, checked with a labscope.

You can get replacement sensors for around $50-$70 FYI.

4. dusty20

How do you know exactly when a sensor is bad and to stop trusting the numbers it is putting out? Bosch said that you can put a multimeter on it and check if the readings are sluggish, how exactly do you know if it is sluggish? What is the best way to test the sensor to find out if it has indeed gone bad?

Rally 291: I was kinda hoping that same thing that the >1g/gal was such a low content that it wouldn't really have an effect on it. If i could get through a year using 1 sensor that would be ok with me. the sensors that you buy directly from Bazzaz are around $199 to replace.

5. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Ask Baz what they think...

6. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

I am still new at the wideband thing but you should be able to get a year out of it. As for knowing when its bag, your supposed to calibrate them every month or x amount of mileage, so that would be an indicator or if one day, you notice your AF readings are really out of whack.

You don't need a Bazzaz sensor, most use the generic Bosch sensor, 4.9 I believe, Ebay has ton's or some VW's use them from the factory in some cars.

Ok, its 4.2-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AEM-...ryZ33609QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. dusty20

Bazzaz had the same answer that Bosch had, don't know how long it should last but that their ama teams run them, and that the leaded fuel will shorten the lifespan.