1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US Auto Industry?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Chip, Nov 7, 2008.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

No its not fair, but they need to be phazed out.
    That was taken from Automotive News, April 16, 2007

2. peakpowersports

They will have jobs eventually, but the transition is what would cause a lot of job loss and panic. And people panicking is not what the economy needs. I actually believe that if tomorrow every news paper, TV station and government body came out and said "Everything’s fine, the economy is back to kicking ass' then people would go spend cash and we'd see a quick rebound.. people are just scared.

3. murf

murf Well-Known Member

4. peakpowersports

If you would go reread the rest of the posts it was explained via holiday pay, overtime, and bonuses. Thanks for playing.

5. murf

murf Well-Known Member

the only folks that would work the week of christmas is maintenance, no production workers

6. peakpowersports

Actually the only time any of the big three shut down is during the summer usually in the month of July for a re-tool, and the workers still get paid for that typically two week shut down. They go year round.

7. murf

murf Well-Known Member

Buying a $300 airline ticket is different than buying a $30000 car. Who would buy a car from a bankrupt company that may not be there for warranty, parts etc?

8. murf

murf Well-Known Member

No they don't. There is no production during the week or Christmas. This year it is actually 2 weeks of no Production. There is plenty of retooling that goes on since that and the 1 or 2 weeks in the summer is when you can make changes to dies etc.

9. murf

murf Well-Known Member

what are we playing? No benefits means the flat hourly rate

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

It's probably more like the fact that the Democratic leaders are wanting to bail out the Auto industry for the sake of the Unions. Buy those votes.

11. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just bail out the coffee shops and restaurants across the street from the plants than bail out the plant? Are we going to bail out the whole US just so someone doesn't suffer momentarily?

12. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

AMEN!

13. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Bingo. You have made a point that I haven't seen anyone, anywhere, make before.
    So, we give the Auto makers a few billion bucks. What's changed? Nothing except that they now have a few billion of OUR bucks to throw down the same hole that they threw their own bucks down. There has to be some serious restructuring of the business models before they need to be given any "loans" at all. The status quo within the Auto industry MUST change.

14. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

The problem with the auto industry is greed on all sides....

Screw a bailout...I'm tired of paying because people can't control their greed.

Unions getting bolt tighteners $30/hour and pension plans...CEOs crash the damn companies and then skip town with a golden parachute to the next CEO job pocketing millions.

Overpaid workers + Porky CEOs + Craptastic Overpriced Cars = FAIL

Why the hell is that so hard to understand?

Where the hell is my bailout plan? My company just lost its biggest customer, so profitability is way down - but since I don't have washington in my back pocket, I not only have to make ends meet by drastically cutting costs, but ALSO pay for companies that make billions a year? Give me a f#cking break.

Stop the insanity. Common sense for president 2012!

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now THAT is something that I can agree with wholeheartedly. One of the biggest problems that we are having with this economy is the propensity of the media to blow it completely out of proportion. Doom and gloom is what sells for them so that is what they will push.

16. murf

murf Well-Known Member

as was mentioned before, one of the reasons there is a difference in overall salaries between the domestics and the foreign brands is the pension fund. The hourly rates are about the same. They are switching over the funding to VEBA so they will not be on hook for it anymore.......this cost billions of dollars to do. So now the salaries will be more inline. Yet they as well as the Toyota folks will still make more than a university prof.

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2007/07/...of-market.html

There is also something about a two tier wage system where the new employees will be making about half the wages. The gov't will have some demands that will need to be met, but I doubt they would be able to change the union contract much more.

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The non-union assembly line workers down here aren't making $30+ an hour.

18. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

Because people are stupid.

It's like saying we have to raise taxes rather than cut spending to erase the debt...and people just nod if it's their team making the statement...while the cheerleaders on the other side make a pyramid to rally their team against the other team.

Idiots. Turn off your t.v.'s and read a book.

19. murf

murf Well-Known Member

uaw looks to be about $28

http://mjperry.blogspot.com/2007/07/...of-market.html

Toyotas seems to be $25 and they are worried because of how fast their hourly wage is growing:
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/02/pair-of-workers-get-caught-in-middle-of-toyota-vs-uaw/

"The document, which came from Seiichi Sudo, president and CEO of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America Inc, states that wages are growing faster than Toyota's US profits."

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What about the non-union rates? Are those posted anywhere?

I would expect the union wages to be about the same after you adjust for lower cost of living for down here.