1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Universal Healthcare Thread

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Team Atomic, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

A few quick questions...
    Why is everyone entitled to health insurance?
    Why must private companies be forced to offer benefits to their employees?
    What would happen to all the private health insurers that currently exist?
    If free markets drive the price of services down, why would we monoplize the health insurance market anymore than it already is?

edit: I forget where i read it, but in reality its only something like 4% of americans that have no access to health insurance and that most of the current number consists of people who dont seek of the appropriate government programs in existance and the other choose to not purchase coverage or opt out of programs at work?

can anyone shed light on that?

edit edit: It says average savings per family is between 2,200 and 2,500 bucks... since the employers burden is greatlest increased how much of a drop in average wages will there be to offset these costs? What is the total cost burden to the businesses involved?

3. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Clinton mandates that everyone must purchase health insurance. Either private or government run.

Obama says that people should purchase insurance when it's affordable.

That's the big difference, Clintons would cover more people.

1. Why not? 46 millions currently don't.
    2. Why not? I have it.
    3. Nothing.
    4. Free markets certainly haven't brought any costs down.

4. Smokes35

1. why are 46 million people entitled to it at all
    2. who are you to tell a business owner how to run their benefits structure? Would companies now forced to insure more employees at a much greater cost just lay off employees or opt to not hire new ones to keep profit margins satus quo?
    3. The cost of procedures and hospital particiaption in either plan will greatly effect the bottom lines of Health Insurance carriers... could be good could be bad for the private carriers.
    4. How do free markets and competition drive the price up!!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Is the Canadian health system with its long lines and waiting lists, restirtiction of work hours and patient numbers per doctor, etc etc a system thats worth persuing (i know they arent the same, but its really the only model for modern "universal" health care we have to study)

edit... and when i say entitled... am i entitled to auto or homeowners insurance? I just dont understand how any hand more govenment hand outs and increased spending is supposed to help anyone in either the public or private sectors.

5. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

4. Because 30% profit. I beleive Hospitals should be non-profit.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Mandating that companies provide health insurance not substantially different than federal control of health care costs, another option. Aside from insurance company profits, why would that not be an equally viable option?

7. Smokes35

But think of the exposure they have... and if hospitals have 30% profit margins, why are they closing all over the country (some in more places than others). Can you show me any info on where Hospitals are making 30 cents on the dollar.

8. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Ask a Canadian, this isn't the case. Heck they should run our healthcare system.

9. Smokes35

Then why is the most admired candian of all time and the most hated canadian of all time the same guy?!

10. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Most Canadians I've talked with aren't that trilled with their health care system but I guess it's better than nothing.

We obviously have to do something. I wish I had the answer. I would be one rich SOB. :D

11. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Many hospitals are non-profit.

The only change they make is replacing "profit" with "revenue over expenses" on the income statement.

One of our largest employers in the area is a non-profit health system. They pay no property taxes, yet own a very large percentage of property in the area. They freely advertise for business...... both hospitals and health plan.

Tell me again how them being "non-profit" is a good thing??

12. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Let the poor and unwashed die and decrease the surplus population.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

You are a meanyhead.

:D

14. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

If the insurance companies had a solution we wouldn't need UH.

15. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

So you believe the government plans will cure this issue?

What about homeowners insurance and auto insurance like Smokes mentioned earlier? Why are americans not entitled to that as well? I mean, there has to be tens or hundreds of thousands without that right??

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Interesting article about "excess revenue" from not-for-profit hospitals.

17. Smokes35

Socailists Know How To Party! Everyone Brings Someone Elses Beer!

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Lots of money floating around for sure.

19. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Its just welfare cheese in another form...eventually the rich will buckle, and then who's pockets are you going to pick?

But who cares as long as you don't have to pay it?

If 39% of the top tax brackets income isn't enough for you what is :rolleyes:

20. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Personally all I want from health care is for insurance company's to stop, or at least reduce the amount of claim rejecting (after the fact) claiming pre-existing conditions..

I had a broken nose 5 years ago and my ins. company denied a deviated septum condition (got bad sinus infections) I had for a "pre-existing condition..My doc tried like hell to get it covered and knew it had nothing to do with the hockey puck that nailed me years before..

I have NO problem paying for ins. I just don't want MORE headaches when I need to use it..This is where some laws/polices need to be put in place IMO...

And heres a question, how come when I needed some antibiotics when I was in Mexico it only cost me 5 bucks for 20 pills (sealed in a blister pack)..When I got home and went to the doc the same pill, THE SAME cost me 25 on a co-pay...Great system I tell ya, awesome!!!