1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Ntecs or R10s?

Discussion in 'General' started by R1Racer99, May 20, 2016.

1. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm racing for the first time in five years this weekend and I'm trying to figure out which tires to use. I have a set of new UK Ntecs from 2013 that have been stored properly. Should I use these or keep them for a trackday when I'm not going to be pushing them? If I do this I'll just try out the R10s because I wasn't a big fan of the US Dunlops I tried at trackdays last year. Any pluses or minuses to either?

Sorry for another tire thread but I'm driving and can't look through a bunch of old threads.

2. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Run one of each. Combo them up!

3. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Michelin Evo Cup...just trying to be the regulars to it...:Poke::D

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

... diff between you an I , is my reading comprehension is spot on .. ;) but well played..

He's either runnin 3+ year old UK ntecs (arguably the best tire ever commercially available, but they are old'ish), or he's buying the r10's. Other brands don't appear to be an option. I know i have been on 5 year old discontinued series michelin 16.5" slicks before (were being sold by a vendor for $25 each!) and they were awesome. 5 years would be about my cut off for dot/slicks. Rains? i wouldn't use if much over a year or so no matter how they were stored.

casjoker likes this.
  5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

PIRELLI. Someone had to :D

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

id race on a 3yr old set of UKs. only problem is that ull be spoiled by amazing tires that ull probably never run again.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  7. kbro45

kbro45 Well-Known Member

I used a 6 year old soft compound michelin power cup and it was the stickiest tire I have every used. Im not fast though so ymmv.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  8. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I think 3 or 4 year old tire was the oldest I dusted off. They seemed to work fine. However, it was on an ex-500 and I didn't exactly ride at the limit.

9. I have a couple of those Michelin "GP" profile rear slicks and can never get myself to mount them up. They're fairly old 4(?) Years. Bought them a while ago and never used them.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. That would be my thinking also.

I wouldn't waste time getting a good setup for them, getting used to them, etc.....when I only have 1 set and no possibility of getting more.

I would start fresh with whatever tires I plan on running for the foreseeable future and try to work towards progressing with them.

dsmitty37 and MELK-MAN like this.