1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 21, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I put a TCL in my bedroom and it works just fine. Personally I think TV's have reached the status of audiophile stereo's; they're all so good that the human eye can barely tell the difference.

speedluvn likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

depends on the model TCL, but they are good bang for the buck.

Oh, you can definitely tell what's what. Motion blur and colors are drastically differently

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Maybe it's age, but they all look fine to me. I was part of the audiophile wars back in the 80's and loved how they'd quote specs that where beyond human aural perception and all the geeks would stand around and go "whoa!" I also remember standing at the TV moving the antennae around to clear the snow off the picture. Sometimes we forget how good the tech is.

crashman, gixxernaut and R Acree like this.
  4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Werd....dsapsis or I'm With Stupid will be along soon to correct you, but werd anyway.

rd400racer likes this.
  5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Please take your logical response and shove it! :rolleyes: This is the beeb, gawd damn it! Everyone here knows that newer is better than older. :Poke:

rd400racer likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Rtings did a burn-in test on a bunch of the OLEDs and it appears that there are several factors involved. It mostly revolves around the kind of content you specifically play. Bright static objects on the screen are the biggest culprits. In this case case it would appear that people that watch alot of CNN are in a worse boat than people that game alot.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

7. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I've had an OLED for 2.5 years now with a Nintendo Switch and an Xbox hooked up to it with no issues. I also have a plasma with a ps3, and then ps4, hooked up to it and had 0 issues with that either. Actually, that plasma is in the den with the PS4 and it's still going strong 12 years later. Imo, burn-in has always been exaggerated or caused by carelessness.

BigBird likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

My plasma is the TV I compare everything else against. OLED/QLED are the closest at 3x the cost of my plasma

9. bleacht

Depends how you shop. I bought that 50" Panasonic plasma in 2008 for $1300. I paid $1400 for my 65" LG C7 OLED in January of 2018.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They've really come around the last couple years. This site is my go to for TV reviews and you can find a bunch of really in depth reviews of various TCL models. Here is their review of this years better TCL ones.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

My in-laws have my 46" panasonic plasma from 2011. I paid $600 for my 60" LG Plasma when they were clearing them out in 2014 or so. My $800 65" Samsung UN65NU8000, which is not O/QLED sucks in comparison for TV. Watching football is terrible.

The other issue is that most channels are not in 4K, so everything is interpolated and that would happen with most 4k TVs

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

13. Agreed. :D

Phl218 likes this.
  14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Well, I totally agree with him, so there is that. And IWS gave up the beeb so 0 for two?

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm stunned. I think Russ pops in every now and again. Good peeps.

I'm well acquainted with being wrong...just ask the blonde woman.

16. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not as bad as golf, baseball, or nascar but I agree

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

[​IMG]

Funkm05 and Gorilla George like this.
  18. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I did the 70 inch LG OLED. No ragrets.

Gorilla George likes this.
  19. Love that gif :crackup:

20. bleacht

True. I don't watch cable anymore and thankfully Netflix has a lot of 4k content. Hulu and HBO Max needs to get on it, though.

BigBird likes this.