1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tuner Needed in NorthEast

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ricracer16, Sep 6, 2022.

1. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

I am looking for a tuner in the northeast who knows ARacer and KTM RC390s.

Thanks,

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Rick, check your email spam. I replied to you regarding the KTM and never heard back.

3. Mustang

Mustang TonysTrackDays Instructor

Depending on where you are in the northeast, inquire with Jesse at Seacoast Sport Cycle. Let him know Bill from RSP Racing sent you!

ricracer16 likes this.
  4. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

Although I was looking in the southeast, I never found anyone with a dyno, tuning experience, and aRacer experience. There is Matt Spicer at Robem, in Ohio, but I wasn't able to get anything scheduled with him. I ultimately learned what I could about using the aRacer software and went with a tuner willing to work with me to tune a built Yamaha CP2 motor using the aRacer Super 2 ecu. Do you have a WBO sensor and autotune? It is an enormous help when building the fuel map.

E Reed likes this.
  5. ricracer16

Hey Mike,

Thanks, I responded.

6. ricracer16

Hey Michael,

Currently, the motorcycle has power commander 5 installed. I just purchased the bike and it's a bit rough. The bike was stalling when I came to a stop. I was told by the previous owner they just found a map online for the exhaust on it, but the bike doesn't have an airbox and some dirty sock over the intake. The bike wouldn't idle well and didn't pull as I expected it to.

A friend recommended ARacer since it replaces the ECU vs a piggyback system like power commander 5. I was told that a map could be uploaded but the ecu would revert back to to whatever was in there before the new map.

7. Michael Hausknecht

Michael Hausknecht Well-Known Member

I don't understand your statement about the ecu reverting..... With the Super 2, you download a set of maps (fuel, spark, etc) for your bike (mine was stock Yamaha MT07) and then adjust them for your motor manually using the SpeedTuning software or, as to the base fuel map only, using the aRacer WBO (AF1 or the newer AF2) and its autotune function. The Super 2 can be set to record a slew of data so you can run a session, download the data, try to figure out what it means and then make adjustments to the maps, and then upload your adjusted maps to the ecu and do it all over again. The aRacer Minis can be tuned using a phone app but I do not have experience with them. The challenge for most tuners is that the primary fuel maps are based on intake air pressure rather than throttle position. It is an odd choice by aRacer. I'm no expert but I'm happy to try to answer questions you might have.

8. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If you keep the PC5, any shop with a Dynojet dyno can crank out a decent full map without much drama. Lots of them all over the place. Yeah, it's a piggyback instead of replacement, but that also means you can just toss it and be fully back to stock with no drama if you want. I'd tune what you've got first and see how that treats you. PC5 on my KTM 500XC-W works a treat with a custom map.

9. ricracer16

Hey Michael,

I was told by an experienced tuner that the KTM 390 ECU and the piggyback PC5 don't play nice together. He said that after hours of building a map, after to runs, the ECU would revert back to whatever was uploaded. I have been looking at some ARacer youtube videos and really like the simplicity of it. I still haven't made a decision on which version I would get, the mini or the Super2.

10. ricracer16

I'm guessing I need a cable to connect the PC5 to my laptop. Anyone know where I could find one of those?

Thanks,

11. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It's a boring standard USB cable, 'Mini-B' on the PC5 end. You may have one in a drawer somewhere from an older phone/etc that charged via USB. https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH13S44/

The PC5 does not upload or alter the ECU in any way shape or form. That's one of it's benefits, it instead sits between the ECU and the actual injectors and tweaks the timing based on the mapping loaded into the PC5. The PC5 is available in a fuel + ignition model for the 390 so it may be tweaking spark timing too with a connection to the coil.

Because the PC5 reads and tweaks what comes out of the ECU, if the factory ECU is slewing IT's mapping around thinking the mix is off, the PC5 will honor that. The PC5 should have been installed with an included O2 Sensor defeat module to keep the factory ECU happy, verify that's in place.

12. ricracer16

Thanks for this info. I'll look into it.

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I have a pcv on my 390. It was tuned by Chad Wells. It has worked flawlessly.