1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Tonneau Covers

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I use an aluminum hook for detaching fifth wheels I got at a truck stop, works great.

2. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I’ve put retrax on my last three trucks. On the first truck was a different design than the last two. I didn’t care for it. It was one sheet of some type of plastic. From what I was told they stopped making those for 8 ft beds. The last two were tongue and groove aluminum and they’re great.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's easy - 4 4x4's set in the ground just wider than the truck and just shorter than the bed and tall enough to be halfway up the cap. A pair of 2x6's running parallel with the truck bed but just an inch or so higher (adjust for potential tire size increase if needed) than the bed rails. Get inside, unbolt cap, lift up with back, put a 2x4 that is wide enough to run across the top of the 2x6's under the front, same in the rear. Pull truck out. I've had a cap sitting on that setup in the side yard since 2008 when I traded the truck in...

Ducti89 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Amen! I also suggest getting the option to have the front window of the cap to fold down as well so you can clean between the cap and the truck. I hate dirty windows.

t11ravis likes this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I agree. I just dont have the space for that setup.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If it helps you can then use it as a shed for parking an ATV or mower under it :D

7. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

For the Tri fold guys:
    Are you able to open just the last third of the cover and then latch it down well enough for highway speeds?

8. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I've got the tri-fold vinyl for my F-150, about $300, and has lasted 5.5 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Tonno-Pro-42-200-2002-2018-2003-2018/dp/B003Z9UUUS

It works great for keeping stuff covered and dry on longer trips, and if you lock the tailgate a thief would have to cut they vinyl to see what was inside. For me, this is enough protection to feel safe when getting gas or eating dinner while travelling.

Since I use the bed of truck more often to haul bicycles and motorcycles, the ability to remove the cover by myself without tools is a big plus. My bike riding friends all have rigid covers or camping toppers, and they all have hitch racks for their bikes due to the hassle of removing a heavy topper. I joke that if they wanted an SUV, they should have bought an SUV.

I have driven with the cover folded up and attached to the truck, but it looks like a sail. Easy enough to just take it completely off the truck when I use the bed for taller items.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

t11ravis likes this.
  10. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Yes they are and only takes literally a minute.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I'll be buying something very soon. Liking how easy this one is to remove, when I want to haul a bike. Who has long-term experience with one of these?

12. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I’ve had mine for 7 years. It’s held up great and had only 1 issue: the rubber cap at the end of one of the rails tore off. This was 5 years of ownership at that point. I emailed them to see if I could pay for a replacement and they shipped it to me for free, without hesitation. It wasn’t anything major and was probably inexpensive but it was nice anyway. I wouldn’t hesitate getting another.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  13. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have an Undercover Armorflex on my truck and love it. It’s a hard tri fold that can be opened all the way for full bed access. When it’s opened, it doesn’t rest against the cab, which is a plus. It’s got a LineX coating on the exterior to prevent scratches.
    I did a ton of research before buying and was set on a Bak, but there are loads of bad reviews on them, from product quality to customer service.

14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I can't find any pictures of how it stores when completely open, Shark. I've found this to be the case with several other brands of covers also.

15. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

When completely open, it's vertical. It has two metal rods that support it. I've driven down the highway with mine in the vertical position. No issues. I don't need it open all the time, so I prefer the hard tri fold design. I've heard too many horror stories of the roll up styles not lasting, with the Bak Revolver being one of the worst (shoddy materials and construction). I like the idea of a Diamondback, but you lose the ability to access the whole bed on the fly. If Diamondback could somehow put their level of ruggedness in a roll up design, it'd be worth a look.
    upload_2022-12-15_12-40-20.png

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I put a Bak Flip on mine, same deal when fully open - held up with a pair of props (and does have padding for resting it against the cab if you're not driving with it open) or easy enough to undo two bolts with handles on them and totally remove it. Mine is in 4 sections on a 6.5 bed so not as tall (top edge is below the roofline) and will also store with the last section by the cab flat and a couple straps securing the others to it. So far really like it. Much better than a soft one and so nice not to lose that 10+ inches at the front to a rollup.

sharkattack and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I put this one on my truck about 4 yrs ago, still holding up great and easy to install. Works if you just want something simple to hide what's in the bed. Rolls up out of the way easy. It's been through Texas summer and 3 Wisconsin winters and still looks good.

Attached Files: