1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck Tonneau Covers

Discussion in 'General' started by wsmc42, Feb 27, 2020.

1. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

Had a Retraxx on two of my trucks and loved them until one day I got caught in a bad hail storm and my retraxx looked like Swiss cheese after.

2. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

The timing of the BBS never disappoints.
    I just started looking at Bed covers vs. camper tops myself for my dually.
    Can anyone comment on why one is better than the other or what works for you?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Looks.

If you want to look 80, get a topper.:Poke:

t11ravis likes this.
  4. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

https://www.peragon.com/

Folds up about the size of retractables, but it is easily removed in seconds when you need the extra space to load bikes.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I had a soft cover on my bed. Easy to roll up and secure. Folding ones broke because of a portion of the cover sticks out as a sail and broke the struts after a highway drive.

The retrax looks like you lose a portion of the bed to the mechanism that folds it.

I had a big cap on my old truck but hauling furniture or a bike in the back was impossible.

Gonna go back to a soft cover on my new truck.

t11ravis likes this.
  6. t11ravis

That definitely is my biggest concern with the camper top.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

If i had a way to get it off and on like a pole barn with straps Id go back to one.

8. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so likely picking up new truck, the soft covers are easy to remove and replace when needed to cover stuff? and no loss of space in front of bed that would make loading a dirt bike a pain ? my buddy just uses a large rubber trailer wheel chock to put in front of the bike tires on his folding bed cover, but looking for ease of use, and would only use the cover for road race trips.. want the cover out of the way most of the time. soft cover looks like an easy way to go, any recommendations on good soft covers?

9. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

Don't know what is best for your application but I will say that if the Lund line has anything that you might like, go with them. I have had several of their products and they have the best customer service of any company I have ever dealt with.
    Jim

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Since I started the thread a while back, I guess I'll chime back in. I was leaning toward a Retrax up until the last moment. I use all of my bed space at times and decided I did not want to give up any space for the canister where a retractable type rolls up. I ended up buying the UnderCover Armor Flex folding cover. It is essentially the same as the Bakflip ( in fact I think they are made by the same third party company) but it has Line X on the top. It is supposed to be more scratch resistant and more durable against hail. I read several reviews on the Bakflip of people with hail damage. Since I am in the process of relocating to Texas, I figured that might be a good feature.

I have had the cover for almost 2 months now. I like the cover. It essentially does what I wanted. I'm not sure I love the flip style. The weatherstrip on the side seems like it will not last too long at the fold points. I have pinched my thumb a good one once folding the cover. My truck is a long bed, so it is a 4 panel cover, The 3rd panel from the cab does not come with the latches because of how it folds. It seems secure enough, but I'm not convinced. The latches don't look too sturdy. If someone really wanted in, I think they could pry into it fairly easy. Like I told a buddy, it keeps the honest people honest I guess. But, that is probably true of everything these days.

I like the Line X finish on top. As far as UnderCover, not sure. The cover was missing a clip on one of the prop rods. They were good to send a new pair immediately. I need to call them back now because one of the rubber weatherstrips at a folding point (runs side to side) seems to be too short and with use it has pulled back exposing a fold point to water and dirt. I'm wondering if this one was made Friday afternoon. I'll see how they handle this for me and post up if it exceptionally good or bad service.

11. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Just get the tri fold off Amazon $280 and lasted me 5 years it's all you need.

12. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

WeatherTechs AlloyCover. Tri-fold. Comes off very easy so you can use to whole bed.

BedRug for bed protection. Multiple options depending on what you’re looking for.

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

are the tri fold covers pretty easy to take off with one person ? i'd only need it every month or so for longer trips towing the trailer, not daily with dirt bikes

14. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

Have a roll-up type on the F150, not sure of the brand, was on the truck when I bought it used.
    I don't like losing the space at the front, even worst is when it freezes in the open or closed position in the winter.
    Tri-fold type is what I will do next.

Dan

15. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

The WeatherTech is. Most aren’t designed to come off, they fold up and block the rear window.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  16. zook131

zook131 Well-Known Member

I've had a Truxedo roll up cover on my GMC for 6 yrs and it has been great. I don't roll it back on a daily basis, maybe once or twice a week. It is now starting to show some wear on the sides where it rolls and I would imagine if I rolled it more, the Velcro would probably wear out.

17. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I have a soft cover on my Silverado. I love it. It provides a nice weather proof place for storage and people cant see what crap I have in the bed. If you're really worried about security get a hard cover. But for general...if they cant see it they cant steal it protection its great. Plus it takes 30 sec to roll it up and its like it isnt even there.

After having this one for a couple years I think these are mandatory on pick ups. They are so much more functional.

18. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Travis,

if you get a topper, make sure to get it with the utility side opening windows. I’ve had toppers on all my trucks and these make it a completely different deal. I will never have one without them again.

EDIT - and honestly with the offerings from ARE and similar companies to color match etc, I think they look good. Besides, a topper is for utility not a show vehicle.

I don’t get things for my truck based on other people’s opinions. :D

t11ravis likes this.
  19. t11ravis

Are you talking about so I can reach In and grab stuff from the side of the bed?

20. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Exactly! This makes access/loading etc a totally different deal. So practical.

t11ravis likes this.