1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck bed tonneau cover

Discussion in 'General' started by masshole, Feb 14, 2016.

1. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I'm trying to avoid buying a few covers before finding out what works well and holds up well.

I've had two soft roll up covers on previous trucks, one was a Truxedo and the other one escapes my memory.
    Pros were really only the price and the good looks when new. The soft roll ups are not water proofed which is not great but I can live with it. They are also adjustable so you can take the slack out and make them "fit" nicely.
    Both roll ups when used somewhat regularly (ie closed and rolled up every now and again) started to show wear and cracks along the edges above the rails on both sides. Also the 4 seasons made them look faded and worn out whiting a year or two.

What do you guys use and can recommend? Has to fit well and look good and be functional.
    I can rule out one of those hard covers that lifts up like a car trunk from the back, don't want one. Needs to roll up of fold up so I can still use the bed if I need to. A fold up one would be great, I've never had one though so I wonder how functional one would be.

Not sure if it matters at all but the truck is a 2015 Ram 3500 with a short bed/ no Ram boxes.

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I have an Advantage Torza Top. Easy to fold up or remove when necessary, easy to fold down over the bed as well.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I really like those ones the work like a garage door. They're rigid but mounted on a track and roll up into a box mounted at the front of the bed.

I don't like those tonneau types that stick up higher than the bed, especially if you haul things that stick up higher than the bed sides.

4. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

I have the extant tri-fold on my 2015 Ram 2500, as sold through the dealership. I like it in that it's very easy to fold up and does a good enough job of keeping the elements out. It fits well, but it doesn't allow the last 1/3 of the cover to fold up out of the way, so you really only have open height access on the back 2/3 of the bed. It's not a horrible thing, but I've found myself removing the tonneau completely to have access to the entire bed a couple times. Again, it's super easy to put on and off so it isn't a major issue. My only real gripe is the quality of the hinges. I've broken 2 already, and not by doing anything stupid or crazy. I think they're just a weak plastic part. The dealer warrantied both, so again, no big loss. I got the tonneau cover free as part of some incentive, but if I had the choice I'd probably go for a Bakflip.

5. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Peragon is another good option. It won't take up much space in the front of the bed like a box for a retrax and can be removed completely if needed with the pull on a tab. The downside is if something slides to the front you won't be able to fold it but a cargo brace would solve that. But, if you don't like that one, Retrax has a few great options.

6. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I like the look of it when installed/ covering the bed. The twist side bar latches and the fact that you have to remove the front to use the entire bed will be deal breakers for me.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

So do I. This is one of the options I'm considering, the only down side in my eyes is the portion that is elevated in the front and not completely even:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Covers/Ram/3500/2015/BAKR15203.html?vehicleid=201516586

8. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Doesn't sound bad for a free cover but removing the front will be a deal breaker for me.

9. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

10. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Bak Roll X , just put one on my 15 Silverado ... super low profile,aluminum roll up with a tonneau top style ... have access to the whole bed if u need to , 3 fastners on each side rail and its installed

11. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I keep reading in the reviews that the aluminum retractable design and aluminum roll up design both have issues with freezing in the winter and not rolling well or at all.

I wish there weren't 100 different brands making covers. o_O

12. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Leer truck cap, color matched to your truck...tonneau covers do nothing but get in the way.....;)

13. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I forget what brand the one for my new truck is but it's a quad fold hard top and the front/rear panel have a latch on the top to flip them up without having to open the tailgate. The front one is great for that stuff that's slides to the front of the box that you don't feel like climbing to get to. It hasn't frozen on me yet (-23c yesterday) and I slightly modified it so it takes 30s to remove. The one on my old truck had the vinyl top and hard underneath trifold that required you to open the tailgate and unclip it from the box to flip up. The new design is the cats rectum compared to the old one and costed $250 more. GM offers it as an option.

14. Tiller15

Tiller15 TEAM GIXXER

I am about 4 months in to the Bakflip VP on my Tundra. I love it!! It's a hard tri-fold that will lay against the cab (with props) for full bed access if needed. What I like about it is that they added a nice vinyl top to it so you can't see any exposed hinging or anything. Has been completely watertight also. Price was very respectable at $698 delivered from Tonneau Factory Outlet. Since it's a rigid tri-fold, you'd have to have someone who REALLY wanted in it to get anything kept in the bed. It also is very low profile which I love!

https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com/bakflip/bakflip-vp.html

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I got a truxedo in 2009 and just now the Velcro has worn out... Good quality no rips or tears... I can't do a fold up or 1 piece with jetskis and bikes in the back.. I plan on just getting another one with my new truck in the next year or so... Good product and company

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

+1 for a topper, -10000000 for anything from Leer.

My Sierra came with a tonneau that was dealer installed. Has a GMC logo on it. It has a running lip on all sides and aluminum bows with pockets in the tonneau rails for them. When installed, its tight and water proof (other than the 2 gaps where the tailgate meets the bedsides. I needed a topper. Still have the tonneau, its rolled up in storage.

18. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I've never needed one, but several employees installed these on their trucks. http://www.truckcoversusa.com/
    Owner is a customer & all around nice guy.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Those are interesting, but unavailable to most of the US, it appears.
    Can't even get a sense of cost from the website.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have one of those for the Dodge, really like it all in all - only issue is you lose 6 inches of bed space for things like a motorcycle. There's room under the box but it blocks taller things.