1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truck bed and trs plate

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Crispietofu, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Crispietofu

Crispietofu Well-Known Member

Hiya! I want to mount the pitbull trs plate on my truck bed but the plastic liner that sits on top of the bed isn't a flat surface. Is there anyway I can just bolt the trs plate over the plastic liner, stick a bunch of washers to make it evenly leveled. Or would I have to get rid of the liner in general to make it work for the trs plate to be mounted

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q9F4Ggpd884b9V3J9

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want it over the plastic and done with washers but that's just me. You could cut out bed liner around Trs but your bed probably not flat either but would be less gap so you would have a minimum spacer height. If you did straight to bed I would make a spacer that ran length wise on bed and connect front bolts to back and give it that support under the Trs plate and probably only way I'd try it.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You could cut some plywood to go under the plastic to give you something to bolt the TRS too.
    Provided the plywood was cut tight enough to stay planted between the truck bed walls.

4. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

The nuts on the bottom of the TRS aren't going to sit flush with the truck bed though, would need to have a second plywood or something around the underside of the nuts and washers (and chop the bolts to an exact length) to provide clearance. I've been trying to figure this out casually for when I get a truck and if I want to keep dealing with a trailer while going solo.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

You can use a carriage bolt turned around.

6. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Herp derp, I could just flip the stock bolts as well.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ditch the plastic, get it sprayed, install TRS.

:D

8. Crispietofu

Yeah I was told the liners trap moisture and can rust up underneath, gonna research and get spray on later. I think I'll just stick with baxley and tie downs for the time being

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously I'd just pull the plastic and run without anything until you get it sprayed. They don't do enough good to bother with them, the vibration has them wear through the paint as quick if not quicker than anything you'd carry back there. They're also just as slippery as the paint.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Ditch that POS plastic linger and go Line-X

</End Thread>

JBall likes this.
  11. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Diddo..

12. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

As another alternative, I use a rubber bed mat that is cut out for TRS plates. It is the same thickness as the buttons on the plate, allowing me to lay material over the plates without damage. Just an option.

13. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Truck beds are pretty thin to begin with, even mounting in a trailer I ran at least two of the bolts through a cross member, and the remaining had a large backing plate installed to spread the weight out. Stacking washers is going to give you even more stress on that thin material and possibly flex and work harden it.

14. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I did it on a new f250 in 2015 and never had a problem.

15. Crispietofu

I'm planning on getting truck bed sprayed next week so no more plastic liner !

16. Crispietofu

Since I'm getting my liner sprayed next week. I want to eventually mount the trs plate on in which I'll drill a hole and also mount a metal sheet underneath for alittle more support. When I finish drilling the holes on the bed is there anything I need to do before sticking the bolt in? I'm hearing that it can rust from exposed metals but there is a bolt filling the hole. Do I still need to do something in order to prevent rust or can I stick the bolt in and call it a day

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Put the TRS base in, tape off the hardware, and spray it with the rest of the bed. No leaks.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You restrain things for the accident. I could tie a bike down with twine and it would be good for the normal stuff, but that's not the point.

badmoon692008 likes this.