1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transponder

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by tittys04, Dec 5, 2012.

1. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Couple questions about the AMB transponders.

I'm looking at mylaps.com, specifically at the transponders to purchase. They don't show the AMB TranX260 that (I think) WERA uses, but they list a "MYLAPS Car/Bike (FLEX) Transponders, previously AMB Personal TranX260 Transponders." I'm assuming that all of the old TranX260's will still work next year, but does this mean that we won't be able to buy a new TranX260? Are they replacing it with this new transponder?

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/B2C/bike/shop

My other question has to do with mylaps... I seem to remember someone saying a year or two ago that if you bought a used transponder, you can't register it on your account on mylaps, or something like that (I can't find where I saw that originally). Is that still the case? I know people buy and sell those things pretty often, so there has to be a work-around for it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're renaming it because they want to now get into the retal business. Looking for new income streams I guess since they really do make their products almost too good. That TX will work and it is the same as the TranX 260.

We have transponders for sale too, I'm pretty sure we're cheaper.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Looking at the site I'd guess they can program in to shut the TX down for the lease deal. The Bike Classic is the one you want if you're looking for a normal TX to buy and keep for as long as the battery lives (then send it to the dude in Oz to get it replaced :D )

4. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

see menu, left side, "register used transponder"

since this topic has been brought up, are there advantages to rechargable vs hard wired?

5. tittys04

Cool, if I buy new I would probably buy from you guys anyways, I was just researching a little and thought that was weird.

Do you know anything about how registering a used one on mylaps works?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personally I prefer rechargeable since we can always grab one to replace it in the same holder if needed and they're easy to move bike to bike so you only need one for multiple machines. However, they do take more work and attention.

Overall though it is preference, there's no advantage to one over the other.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:Register used" - left side bottom link on the page you linked to.

8. tittys04

THAT's what I was looking for... thank you sir :up:

Cool, thanks

9. tittys04

whew! $41 to reconnect it. Glad you guys pointed me to that before I went and bought a used one. At that rate (depending on the deal) it's probably worth it just to get new.

10. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Basically pay them $40 or $50 and you get an account that stores all your info (lap times, events, finishes, etc). If you buy a used one see if the seller will give you his username and password if they don't plan on racing anymore.

11. tittys04

So... hypothetically speaking, if you had 2 bikes but you bought a hard wired transponder, couldn't you just build a pig tail with a disconnect in it and then be able to move from one bike to the other? That way the battery never fails... I don't know I would go that route... but it's possible, isn't it?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Honestly that fee is strictly for their site. The transponder will work fine for scoring and everything on our end. You can also get them to change their pw to a neutral one and use their login to get your info on the used one too last I checked.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's possible but it's a hell of a lot easier to take the rechargeable out of one holder and just snap it into one on the other bike than run wires and remount a hardwired.

14. tittys04

Alright, cool. Thanks for the info.

15. tittys04

Hey Sean, do you guys bring a bunch of transponders to the track, or can I pre-order a transponder so I make sure to get one at the first event? I'd hate to get to the track and you guys run out of transponders for sale.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We usually only sell a couple per event so we tend to stock 4-6. In theory we could sell out but would give you a free rental if that happens and ship you a new one. If you'd like though, email me before the event and we'll make sure one is there with your name on it.

17. tittys04

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks!

18. Bunghole

Bunghole Well-Known Member

Would you trust your connection at said pig tails to hold up during the season? It would suck to have a connection break open and the transponder die mid race.

Maybe you're race 4 and race 6, you come in from race 4 and go to change the transponder to the other bike and your pigtail breaks. When you should be resting and hydrating, you will be working on your transponder.

IMO, too much could go wrong. The more splices you have in your wire, the more chances of one breaking. Rechargable is the way to go if you're running multiple bike IMO.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I agree - or multiple hard wired.

20. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Off topic, but does AHRMA use the same transponders as WERA?