1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trailer Questions....

Discussion in 'General' started by robfromc, Jul 20, 2010.

1. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Looking at this http://columbia.craigslist.org/mcy/1851542504.html What do you guys think? 2 bikes, 8ish trackdays a year. Probably will haul around some work stuff a few times a year.

Is that single axle ok? No brakes, but if thats a issue I can add them later. Does the V-nose help with gas mileage? Why is the sky blue?:beer:

2. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

I'll chime in. Looks like a pretty good deal! I have a 6x12 with no brakes and it's not a v-nose. As for the brakes, I wish I had them on mine but it works pretty good for me, just gotta be on watch for abrupt stops. As for the V-nose, it's nice for the extra room but I heard timeless debates if it really helps the gas mileage or not.

If I was in the market for a new trailer of that size and lived closer, i would buy it myself.

3. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

I'd check the classifieds on here. Used trailers usually have extras with them and at a better price.

4. robfromc

robfromc nice member

I did that, didnt really see much. I dont want to get into a huge trailer. Dont want to pull all that extra, unused space.

Rollie...thanks!:beer:

5. Chaney3000

Chaney3000 Active Member

Well, the V-nose does help with aerodynamics. The single axle is ok for the hauling you spoke of, 2 bikes and some tools. Don't know what you have to carry with you for work but you should be ok with the single axle as long as you stay away from really heavy loads.

Now, depending on the load your hauling in regards to the brakes. You should be fine without the trailer brakes as long as you keep that in mind and make adjustments for safe stopping distances while pulling the trailer. No abrupt stops.

15 inch tires are a plus for highway traveling. All in all, looks like a decent trailer.

6. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

7. gixrdeb

gixrdeb Doesn't like to play nice

Good price but I do have a couple of suggestions..make sure you get a spare and you will probably want some interior lights in it..I use mine all the time and would hate life if I didn't have them.

Single axle isn't a problem...until you get a flat. Double axle will keep the trailer stable and give you a chance to safely get off to the shoulder or the closest off ramp with ease. Down side to double axle: double the cost to replace the tires.

I have electronic brakes in my trailer- they're great until you have car problems and find the only vehicle that can tow your trailer for you doesn't have a setup for electronic brakes which means the trailer won't move..been there, done that and it puts a damper on things but the benefits far out weigh the cons. If you're only pulling 2 bikes and gear, you should be fine without them.

The V nose.. I can't see where it would hurt gas mileage and it'll give you some extra room :beer:

8. rraiderr

rraiderr Ron Jermey Jr

I went the cheap Harbor Freight route, we haul 3 bikes and it works fine.

For the price it is hard to beat.

9. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

great deal.

10. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

V nose will make a big difference. My work trailer was a flat nose at first and then I had it converted into a v nose and I immediatly got 1.5-2.0 mpg better milage. I had a hard time believing it would make that much difference but it sure did. Good luck.

11. bloodso

bloodso Well-Known Member

My trailer pulls just fine without an electric brake controller. I've never heard of a electric brake system that was activated when nothing was connected to the brake wire. Sounds like the wiring in the trailer or tow vehicles connector was wrong and activating the brakes.

12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Also get a motorcycle restraint system such as ST Stand or Pit Pull. Either that or e-track. Also get some cabinets. You will also, depending on where you are, will want to look into a 13.5k btu AC. Also you will want lights. With lights you will want to have external power. Just sayin is all.

13. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

trailer

I have the same thing, 6x12 v-nose single axle. I load it with 2 bikes, mini fridge, generator, tools, 2 canopies, etc. It works fine w/o trailer brakes, just leave yourself that extra stoppng distance. I pull it with a 2008 Nissan Frontier V6 at 70mph + and get a whopping 9 mpg.

14. robfromc

robfromc nice member

Thanks for the input!

Jimmy...I saw that one, and its only 4hrs away...just trying to balance the new trailer-slightly larger with one barely smaller, with a dent and ac.

Im using a 4x8 open trailer with 2 baxley chocks. Carries 2 bikes and thats about it. My wife rides, so its both our gear, plus 2 kids and 2 dogs.....frign Noahs ark. I'll pull it with either our Durango with a hemi or my van with the 5.4v-8. Either way I cant pack all our crap in the truck and still have room...need some trailer space. Plus I run a 2 man plumbing company and Ive been getting a few bath remodels, hard to haul tile saws and materials plus normal plumbing stuff in just a van.

So if Im reading this all right, that link...the trailer seems ok? Nothing sticks out as super cheap? The lights and wiring are cake. I was worried that the walls would be super thin or the floors are cheap. But looking around, lots of the trailers have 3/8" walls and 3/4" floors

15. robfromc

robfromc nice member

LOL at the 9mpg....i wonder how the Hemi and the 5.4 will do? Neither do great without it.

16. G8rDuc

G8rDuc N00B

I hear ya Rob. Dent wouldn't bother me, you're bound to get one anyways.

I personally use the Harbor Freight 4x8 and am happy with it, though an enclosed would be nice to have with Air Condition...mini toy hauler of sorts, lol. Good luck, Rob.

17. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Those trailers from NC and SC are on the cheaper side of build quality. I'd be looking for a haulmark or another brand i cant think of the name at the moment (starts with a "U").. Anyway, this trailer craze thing went off and people were pumping cheap trailers onto the market and they get pretty cheap!

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Probably a lot better than 9 mpg. On long trips with cruise control I get 19mpg on the highway without the trailer.

19. invaderzoom

invaderzoom Well-Known Member

Same here. Your MPG is determined by vehicle speed you drop that to 60 and your MPG will improve a good bit. Most trucks and suvs are rated to at least 3000 lbs towing weight which is all these trailers can handle.

As an added note pay attention and load the bike weight evenly over the axle or else you will end up with a severely tongue heavy trailer and a miserable towing experience.

FWIW mine is Homesteader branded bought new last year and I gave about 400 more for it +tax.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  20. robfromc

robfromc nice member

yeah the dents not a deal breaker... Ive out grown the 4x8 even when i use it for work its too small.

^^^^ thats what I was wondering about. Ive used a Horton Hauler before and the quality seemed fine, wonder where these stack up.