1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailer axle sizes.. 5200,6000,7000

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

so there are lots of threads on trailer tires, but i haven't found many on axles. Can anyone definitively tell me the difference in the 3 axle sizes? Bigger is usually better, but potentially getting a new 24' trailer.
    6000lb axles are 1000$ more than 5200lb (and 5200lb would be "sufficient")
    7000 lb axles are $800 more than 6000lb axles (or $1800 more than 5200lb axles).

now if i am only gonna have at most 12,000lb total trailer weight, and that would be rare. do i need 7000lb axles? From some internet searching, they ALL use many of the same bearings and other parts, the difference appears to be the brake magnet , and 7000lb hubs will have 8 bolts not 6. But they all are 12" hubs..

I have used 5200lb on my current 24' trailer without issues with axles/hubs. Want 6000lb and 16" wheels at least (so i can go with better tires than 15" tires). but 7k might be a waste of $800

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You probably don't need to go to the 7's if you know you're not going to overload the 6's but the other way to look at it is for what you're spending on a 24' trailer the extra $ aren't that much more. Being in the trailer business I wouldn't order a 24 footer with anything less than the 7000's. You're right about the differences between the axles, bigger hubs and the magnets. I don't bother to stock 6000 # magnets, just put 7's in.

The heavier axles might help you with resale down the road too.

3. MELK-MAN

youdaman..
    but on a $16,000 trailer (not aluminum, just a pimped out cargo with ac, quartz lights, lots of outlets, tire racks, no rivits, etc) you think the 800$ extra would be worth it? as you said, might not be needed, but would be better braking, and could be a selling feature..

i assume the 6000lb axles would have more braking power than the 5200lb, but would still be a 6 stud hub ? will consider it, but i will be going with 16" wheels regardless this time..

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

5200-6000 bearings are the same. 6k uses a load range E 6 lug tire/wheel, 52 uses a load range d 6 lug.

7k the outside bearing is bigger than the bearing on the 6k. 7k uses a 8lug wheel and a 16" 10ply E tire.

Brakes are all 12" drums.

7K isn't $800 upgrade.

5. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

get the 7k axles for the resale value alone IMHO.

When we were searching for our stacker trailer, anything with axles under 8k was out of the question.

6. Josh Whitehead

Josh Whitehead Crash Test Dummy

7k are overkill for a 24' trailer, but I'm a firm believer in always get more axle than the trailer and more tire than the axles.

For example my 32' trailer weights about 14k loaded, with 3 5200 lbs axles (15.6k) and 6 load range E tires (17k).

What ever you do make sure the are Torsen Axles and not leaf springs axles.

7. MELK-MAN

torsion axles no doubt..
    From these posts, the only reason i am seeing a $1000 price increase to 6k axles from 5200, is the tires/wheels ?? (15" wheels/D range tires to 16" E range)

It is a little hard to justify the additional $800 from 6k to 7k if just the outer bearing is larger and brake magnet is larger, but still the same 16" wheels and E rated tires.

may go with 7k, but likely 6k if they won't work on the overall cost of the trailer a bit. High trailer resale in general is a lost cause.
    I think i had 11,000 lb in it one time. that was with 5 bikes (my 2 and 3 others ) and a LOT of stuff. Friends additional tool box, 2 buddies spare wheels, our tires we got ahead of time, 3 pit bikes, etc. I actually weighed at a truck stop. 19,500lb gross, 10,500 on trailer tires (more but that was distributed to rear truck tires on tongue weight).

8. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

7k axles all the way. The bigger 16" rims make a big difference in the stability of towing, and it puts peace of mind knowing that there's no way you can overload the trailer.

9. MELK-MAN

16" wheels for the better tires no doubt, just having a tough time justifying the $800 added expense to go from 6k to 7k axles... all ya get is 8bolt hubs (vs 6 bolt) and little larger OUTER bearing for this price. the inner bearing is the same size, 12" hubs same, etc.. hmmmm .. things ya have to consider when designing a new race rig.. LOL