1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tragic DC-4 crash in Alaska

Discussion in 'General' started by Linker48X, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

They have enough failure for one company.

2. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I initially read that as Alaska Air and I thought WTF?

3. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Not the only one.

4. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Makes sense as to why they wouldn’t bother then. I wonder if new additive manufacturing, automated CNC machining etc. techniques can keep these things going in a cost effective way. Works for Jay Leno and his fleet of old vehicles….

5. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Yeah you would think. But not on a certified aircraft.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

FAA frowns on homemade parts?

7. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Balanco did a great utube vid that shows the engine blow up, almost bomb like. I'm not sure how that occurs. Those very experienced guys didn't have a chance.

And, here goes my daughter in 2 weeks to be a new bush pilot in Copper Valley. :confused:

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

The FAA frowns at everyone and everything not FAA...and a bunch of them too. :D

As a collective they couldnt pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were on the heel, while they were on fire, in a hurricane, while underwater. Third world banana republics look at the FAA and their red-tape bureaucracy and go DAAYYYUUUMMMM...Thats a tad much.

Yes. The FAA frowns on homemade parts unless the plane is experimental. Then they really give 2 shits. You cant do anything commercial in an experimental. If its a 'Certified' airplane...piper, cessna, boeing, etc the parts had better come from a proper source. There are a few work arounds for old NLA stuff...but plane parts are crazy expensive for a reason....the small volume and paperwork.