1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackdays in cooler temps

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by psychedelicbike, Nov 15, 2012.

1. psychedelicbike

psychedelicbike Active Member

Just wondered if I could get some help from people about riding in cooler temps if possible!

Out here in southern california it was a chilly 40-50 degrees at willow springs last week, I'm on an sv650 with GP-A 211 front 209 rear takeoffs I buy from a friend. The whole day I never felt any grip in the tires, they would lock up under braking and i felt the front tuck a bit on more than one corner. I was always told that race tires when not up to temp are like riding around on ice so I was going very easy, I think back now and I was probably going too easy to ever get any heat into the tires in the first place.

Anyways, would it do me any good to buy a set of Q2's for the colder months on track until it heats up again? I was given that suggestion but then saw on a couple forums a Dunlop rep saying the GPA's have more grip than the Q2's regardless of temp. Granted the Dunlop people are always going to push the more expensive product, is there truth to that? I'm not running warmers either so all the warming is me myself and I out there.

tl;dr help me get the big round things i ride on hot in the winter without warmers.

Thanks! :rock:

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I've been up there when the temp at 7:30 am was 33 degrees...At that time I was on Supercorsa's SC1 and SC2 rear. Although I was on a 2002 gsxr 600, I did 2 laps that I would consider to be taken it easy, 1;38's or so, by the third lap, I started to get on the gas, and upped the pace the next couple of laps w/o any issues with the tires or brakes. One problem I did have was the stoopid battery that didn't want to crank due the cold temps..:D

BTW, I never use warmers for track days, even when I switched to Bstone slicks..

3. Grabulator

Grabulator Member

I had a similar issue a few weekends ago.

It had been over a year since I had been at the track so I was taking it easy knocking the rust off. I was running D209's. I don't think I was riding hard enough to keep the front tire hot and I ended up wiping out, even after I had a few 'warnings' from the front end that I ignored.

I'm thinking about trying a set of Michelin Power Ones until I get my pace back up. Not sure what everyone thinks of these tires but they seem to be in between street tires and race tires, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

Maybe the OP should use similar tires on a cooler day?

4. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

I would suggest that in colder seasons you use a street tire, such as Q2's or Pilot Powers.

Much easier to get up to temp, and they heat cycle much better.

5. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Be smart and save your self and some $$$ buy a set of warmers..Here we have seen 21-22Deg temps all morning and even had some Ice and snow the night before at NHMS so comming from a cold weather Racer its a must have or will cost you that in parts when you crash......or worse you get hurt

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Do warmers really do that much good when it's 30 degrees out on a cloudy day and the track never warms up enough to get any heat into the tires?

7. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Yes. And once they are up to temp from the warmers you are not longer "getting" heat into them, you are KEEPING heat in them... two different things.

8. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Yes....to a point. You will obviously loose some heat but we leave them on with blankets and that allows a good heat soak in the tire and rim... Then you are still going to push hard and it will stay some what up to temp from there...and still a lot safer than cold tires and a cold track. Even on a really hot day I some how got my powerstrip shut off on my warmers and that was really fun race to do let me tell ya.......skating all over the place.:down:

9. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Q2 would be a great cold weather tire especially when you don't have a geny and warmers

That said, :stupid:, go to SAMs or Costco and get a $300 geny and call woodcraft for some dual temps. Use the warm setting on street tires and the hot on race tires. My understanding is that front heat comes primarily from braking and you'll never get a front race tire up to temp at Big Willow from braking on cold days imnsho

10. psychedelicbike

psychedelicbike Active Member

Thanks guys, It's great that everyone offers help right away. I'm leaning towards buying a generator and warmers, I figure since I plan on racing once the summer league starts up out here or maybe doing a round of CVMA in the winter I may as well spend the money on those now than have a pair of Q2's. Just seems easier since I'll have them eventually anyways.

What's the general consensus on warmers to get? The woodcrafts? And is it going to make a difference if I run 180-190 size warmers on a sv650 with 160 tires?

Thanks again everyone!

11. ...and don't be surprised when nobody wants to pit anywhere near you. I would keep an eye out for specials, or on ebay, or on craigslist and pick up a closeout/used quiet generator/inverter. The people in the paddock will be glad you did. I ran across a Honda eu2000 a couple of months ago for $450 and it didnt have many hours on it. Guy was getting out of TD's and wanted to get rid of it.

As far as warmers...do it. If for no other reason than peace of mind. In the long run it will save you money because you will get more quality laps. Instead of having to waste 2-4 laps waiting for your tires to warm up, you will be able to go quick from the start.

55-60 is not cold. Some tracks have better grip in the 60-65deg range. But when you are talking about 30's-40's, you will actually start to lose heat once you take the warmers off. But you will still be better off starting with your tires at 180deg rather than 30deg.

Keep in mind that when the track is that cold, you would probably be better off with a harder tire. It might sound counterproductive, but a really soft tire is more likely to cold tear in those temps. But as always, talk to your tire vendor.

12. bella749

bella749 Well-Known Member

I don't bother anymore with tire warmers or race tires for track days. I've found the Q2's like a little heat in them and don't have a lot of feel when cold or in damp/wet conditions.

The new B'Stone S20's are great in cold weather... did just a track day on them and was really impressed. Temps were mid-30's that morning, maybe getting near 40 for the first session. I almost stayed in the first session to play it safe but decided to go out with the intent of taking it easy... was dragging knee on the 2nd lap.

13. grantcarruthers

My Champion 3500 will run circles around your eu2000: run 2 sets of warmers and fans and a battery charger and I regularly have to walk the full length of the extension cord to verify its running.

Finding one eu2000 for $450 I believe. Making it sound like they're all over the place at that price is a pipe dream. And look how much money that guy is out who sold it to you. The only way I could justify one is for night time use and camping.

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is this the one?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champion-power-equipment-trade-3500w-4000w-portable-generator-4434023

[​IMG]

15. grantcarruthers

Yep. That's the one and its started on first or second pull for two years. Think I paid 300 at SAMs. They also have an eu2000 knockoff if you want something a little quieter. I just got a wheel kit of overstock for $42 that will make life much nicer when setting up the pit. I also got a 100 foot extension cord just in case my pit neighbors are holding Sunday school :D

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Here's a totally different perspective. I find that when I am a bit chilled, I get stiff, and the bike is not as responsive or lithe.

I wear a thin insulated base layer suit that breathes real well, but holds a nice layer of trapped air for warmth and comfort. I feel better and miraculously, the bike feels "livlier".

Weird, huh?

17. Well no shit. It has almost twice the output. :rolleyes: And i don't use a generator. I either use track power or just plug into the toy hauler.

I didnt buy the generator and i never said they are all over the place. I simply gave an example of how you can find a deal if you are patient and look for one, especially in the offseason.

18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

We use a EU2000i to run two sets of warmers no problem (Chicken Hawk 3 temps). We also will sell a WERA member an EU2000i for $900 bucks if anyones interested.

As for the cold: Come up to MI for an eairly Grattan day and run in the snow with us :) Also if it gets really cold (< 30) spoon on an old set of rains and be amazed.

19. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

I alway ran Pilot Powers at Tally for the first Southeast round.

It's ALWAYS sub 35 degrees that weekend. :mad:

20. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Honda EU2000 is the best. I bought mine several years ago. She cranks up everytime. So quite too. They cost $900 now? :wow: