1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trackday Liability ??????

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by ATFULLEAN, Dec 7, 2009.

1. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

The organization that I had problems with changed their group format for next year. Since the advanced group usually doesn't sell out, they adopted a two intermediate group format. And a novice group.

How's that for safety?

+1

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Whats that? Like Beginner, Intermediate, Intermediate? Is there any distiction between the intermediates?

3. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

I just checked again. They keep changing it, now they have 12 days with the normal format and 6 days with B, B2, and C groups.

Their description:
    B Group: Group for experienced track riders. This group has riders who have many track days under their belts, who understand the rules and are comfortable at riding at a very quick pace.

B2 Group: **Exactly the same as B Group Group for experienced track riders. This group has riders who have many track days under their belts, who understand the rules and are comfortable at riding at a very quick pace.

This has all been changed, it used to say 6' passing on either side.

4. Modifyd4

Modifyd4 Well-Known Member

I usually ride in intermediate which is known as the crash group. Usual events I attend there are 3 groups, 15-20 mins per session. Most of the time I go on private track days, and sometimes on track public weekends.

Expert Group - based on times / experience level / rarely these guys make mistakes are consistently fast all day. 1.15-1.25's

Intermediate Group - Huge spread of talent here, some novices that just bumped up and some experts that arent ready for the next group. So in perspective some guys running say 1.42's @ Jennings FL, vs some guys running 1.25's @ Jennings FL.

Novice Group - Limited passing, outside only, 1.40+ Times, usually they bunch up cause everyone is scared to pass anyone and make them feel uncomfortable.

When I went to the track on public days and there are TONS of people in my group I dont go right out in front, thats where the action/crashes always happens, I wait watch people get a feel for how things are going to go, sometimes let them go out half track and then make my move, the real fast guys will start passing me at some point.

I am still new to track days and learning so I dont want to be in the mix just yet. Anyway... we have had some really great track days down here in FL, mostly private through friends and local businesses, I am sure its really easy for a good track day to go bad really fast.

5. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

:up: I usually skipped the first session in the B group. Really dangerous with some riders that haven't done TDs in a few months.

6. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

If you're running a 1:42 at JGP, you need to be in Novice. That's the problem. People that need to be in Novice don't want to be because their ego can't handle it, so what happens? They go bitch to the TD organizer and get bumped up into I. I've also noticed that some org's let anybody be a cr just because they're friends with the guy. That is freakin' retarded.

I hope your brother heals up quick. When you're taken out in a race it's one thing, but it should not happen at a TD. People get out there and push their limits, and a TD is not the place for that.

7. KneeScraper

KneeScraper I'm a new Dad!!!

Huh??? My head hurts after reading, or should I say, trying to read and understand that??!!??:confused: I hope you can find a more straightforward TD org.

8. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

And some guys no matter where you put them, ego takes over, :(

9. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

10. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Metallica said it best...sad but true

11. Allthatflash

Allthatflash Well-Known Member

This year I have rode with most SoCal track org and all are great to some extent or another. Hypercycle, Motoyard,The trackclub,TI2TT all are great except for Crackdaz! they just always come out with surprises eveytime. Now I have done planty of days with them for years without any incident and Thank GOD for that but lately they have been dropping the ball as an Organization. I know AAA speedway and Fastrack riders all get insured on those days and that is why they are one of the most clostly track events, but I think any org. should be responsible for thier members riding that day. But Yes putting A into B and all that is very unsafe.....no matter how you try to see it!

12. mr fatback

mr fatback Well-Known Member

I don't know if new guys moving up to fast thats more of a problem or the sandbaggers that are to fast that won't move up.Guys that don't wanna get passed.I thought at jennings 1:40 and up were novice,1:40-1:30 intermediate,1:30 and below expert.I know people running 1:25 -24 in intermediate just to be the fastest of the group.I can count on maybe 4-5 people ever being bumped up and always out of novice for being to fast.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

I believe that is the track policy, opinion or whatever. I think it's pretty far misguided. 1:30's aint' expert.

14. Motorin Mark

Motorin Mark Well-Known Member

Can you tell us where and when this happened please. While we have been doing this a long time, we are only human. I try to call everybody that is transported to the hospital that rides with us but sometimes I do miss a rider or two.

Hope your brother is improving.

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Jennings groups are as follows:

1:28 and faster- Expert
    1:28 to 1:38- Intermediate
    1:38 and slower- Novice

16. mr fatback

mr fatback Well-Known Member

Dits that seem pretty reasonable,I wish it was enforced.

17. bblath

bblath Guest

holy crap.

you folks that are talking about blaming, sueing, feelings hurt, retribution, all that other crap. let me know when and where you are riding. i'll be sure to avoid you, and tell others the same.

do all of us a favor:

a) don't do dangerous things like riding on the track if your going to go crazy when something goes wrong, or

b) talk to folks who have been doing it for quite awhile and learn that there is an etiquette in the pits. and that etiquette is summed up in that there is no blame. ever. it's the rules. the unwritten rules.

blame is only to be used for correction and prevention. not retribution. not at the track.

lawyers and tracks should not be mentioned in the same sentence (other than to say they shouldn't be used in the same sentence). it will be the end of trackdays and racing for us all. don't be the catalyst to start that tragic landslide.

18. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

:stupid::up:

19. sokali

sokali Well-Known Member

This is what we're discussing here, not lawsuits...

:beer:

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Even though you don't want to go down this road there is always this thing called "gross negligence" and no waiver can get past this.

That could be considered gross negligence.