1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler or customized enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jun 27, 2020.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yep, last 3 times I went to njmp, I went that way.

2. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Absolutely! Give me little....

3. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have a sister in law that lives just over the bridge on Kent island and my luck with that bridge blows. I seem to hit every back up even if it’s 10am on a Wednesday

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

They finally took out all the booths to keep traffic flowing............hasn’t worked yet:crackup:

DmanSlam likes this.
  5. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

As for OP you said you look at this as also an investment. Toy haulers and such seem to take a beating. To come out ok you definitely need to buy used at a good price. Utility trailers are like van and pickup trucks. People use them to make money so their values hold much better. I had a 6x12 for a couple years then went to a 8.5 x 16 so I didn’t have to empty it to sleep in it. Added fridge, AC&heat with a microwave and I’m really content. But I can certainly get the appeal of your own bathroom with shower. Good luck

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

yeah I was blown away when I was sitting in traffic for a little while only to see the pile of crap where the booths used to be.

7. Ducti89

So here it is. On the inside pic, those gray looking tables fold down. The long piece of wood on the left side is the leaf that I made that gets secured in between those two folding table and creates one big area. I then use a blow up queen mattress on top of it.

In the rear left of the inside pic, i have a trs system for the bike.

My other inside pic is of the front. Its too big of an image to post but i can gladly send it to you via text in a pm.

If you were to turn around and face the other direction, to the left would be a roller toolbox. Front left is a closet for tire warmers and cables. A fridge and microwave are located front right. One chair is secured on top of the closet. One is secured in between the fridge and closet.

An air compressor, small genny, stands and fuel jugs are stored up towards the front if the trailer.

Unload and loading times are approximately 20 minutes.

Attached Files:

8. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Between the options in the subject line, I'd vote a toyhauler. I had a deposit down on an enclosed trailer before I got my toyhauler. I was talking to the dealer and adding up all the stuff to make it 'liveable', and I realized a toyhauler would be infinitely easier and less expensive for what I was trying to accomplish.

The toyhauler has the added advantage of being respectable (a relative term) at a nice campground. 90% of the toyhauler's use is for track duty, but it does see some campgrounds, and some of the nicer ones likely wouldn't let me in with an enclosed trailer. I'm using it next weekend at the track, and the following weekend to camp out with my son for a socially-distanced birthday. Can't beat that versatility.

Bought mine in 2012. Still looks awesome (always covered when not in use), and repairs have been extremely minimal (water pump, propane regulator, top plastic vent covers cracking, etc.). It's definitely not the least expensive route, but if you're gonna use it, damn is it nice.

DmanSlam likes this.
  9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

That's pretty nice, esp with the lighting and side windows. 20 minutes is pretty quick given all things. I see you have an awning, so no pop-up canopy required.

10. DmanSlam

^^^ Agreed.

11. Ducti89

Correct. I forgot to mention it has a 30 amp hookup and a few outlets inside of it.

I use the track amenities for showers and toilets.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

They both can be money pits :beer:

Phl218 and DmanSlam like this.
  13. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I have a 37 foot toy hauler with a garage, slider, shower, etc. I live it when I’m at the track. I’ve had it for 5 years and it is almost a second home. Sometimes I wish I had an 18x8 race trailer instead.

It depends. Either will work just fine. I will say this, the toy hauler will be an additional consumer of brainpower during the race weekend and you’ll be among the last to leave, probably. I’m really glad I didn’t have one for the first few years.

14. That’s just for being down by the river.

15. Small toy hauler unless you can find the right conversion already done on a trailer. Having a “home”
    while at the track is money well spent IMO. I had a 31’ Class A and loved it but before they traveled with friends with trailers well set up and was very comfortable. To me the biggest advantage is the mental one. Having a good nights sleep, waking up in familiar comfortable surroundings, a place that’s cool (or warm) to debrief relax and get yourself head right between sessions (or races) etc. once you have them set up the way you want things become a lot easier packing and unpacking, setting up, etc.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  16. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

I've used RVshare.com over a dozen times for Bikeweek, Croom and Durhamtown vacations. They even deliver, set it up and break it down.

17. DmanSlam

That site provides quite a few options. You mention 'set it up'. So, they delivered to your destination? I could try larger vehicles than my current truck can tow if that is the case.

18. DmanSlam

'Small toy hauler unless you can find the right conversion already done on a trailer. Having a “home” while at the track is money well spent IMO.'

This is spot on. The right conversion has been elusive or, perhaps, it's just the timing. I noticed a lot of trailers sold in the off-season. :)

19. proprocket28

proprocket28 Well-Known Member

I picked up an Intech Explore toy hauler a couple weeks ago, which was discussed a bit in the baby toy hauler thread. We camped in it over the weekend and is built similar to a converted 6x10 aluminum trailer. I like the relatively small size and simplicity of it (no bathroom or water storage). They aren't cheap when you look at the size, but appear to be well built and seems to be convenient. If you definitely need a shower or bathroom then this probably won't be your best choice though.

20. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I picked up a 8' X 20' enclosed trailer that I'm in the beginning stages of converting right now.

Going to put up a wall to separate the garage and living area. I'll only be hauling one bike, so thinking about doing a 8' garage/12' living area?