1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy hauler or customized enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Jun 27, 2020.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Last season, I stopped using a privately-owned trailer and (now) either rent a uhaul trailer or just load my truck with the bike and a few things. While quick and easy, it's not a good setup for longer or multi-night trips to tracks farther away.

Been thinking about owning a comfortable trailer or hauler again. What to get is the question. And renting to 'try before you buy' seems practical while I decide.

I saw this site, where you can rent toy haulers/campers/RVs. http://rvrentalsofamerica.com/default.aspx

The vehicles are privately-owned and subleased, if you will. Has anyone used this site OR just have experience with RV/toy hauler rentals?

As for ownership, toy haulers aren't cheap but, by cost comparison, trying to add most of the same features to an enclosed trailer, makes the toy hauler seem advantageous. The shower/bathroom/bed is a plus. Not mandatory. But surely is convenient.

For the times I'd like to sleep, eat, show and lounge in comfort at the track? toy hauler. Anything else, then yeah, any enclosed trailer might do.

Re the uhaul trailer and pickup bed transport, I've lost count of the number of times I could have slept an extra hour and, instead, did the morning rush for early-morning loadings, setting up pit, determining location for generator, ready for tech inspection.

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

I don't want this to come across harsh but here is piece of unsolicited advice: you haven't raced yet, you are asking about dot tires vs warmers and race slicks, etc. You are green. A newbie. A rookie. It's an exciting place to be, trust me, we were all there. My advice, do a season at the lowest possible cost you can, before jumping into anything like toyhauler or custom enclosed trailer. Use the warmers. Get slicks or dot race tires. Buy a quiet generator. Slowly amass all the parts and pieces you need for a solid race program. I raced 3 seasons out of the bed of my pickup, including conceiving a child at the track before I got into the heavy payment things. (when she ovulates, you're on the clock amirite?) Just saying... It's an addictive and expensive hobby. Don't go off the deep end too early and blow your wad before you have some experience.

3. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I like the line of thinking, but I think he's done a fair bit of trackdays so there should be some perspective.

socalrider likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

You are overthinking it.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I thought you were getting a van?

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Save enough for hookers & blow to blow your wad :beer:

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

We needed a trailer built heavy enough to carry a lot of tires. We Knew an RV wouldn't be strong enough for that. We were replacing our 46' with living quarters.

We got a trailer built to our specs, and added a bed/shower and other things needed for living at the track for a week or less. We do miss having the table to sit at, but the rest seems to be doing good for us. If you make it to a race in the Southeast, come by and check it out. It's the red trailer with all the Bridgestone and Dunlop tires in it.

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

8 years in and I still just like throwing the bike in the bed of my truck and just going. I did however just install a hitch receiver on the little matrix to use a small trailer, but that’s just because I’m effin cheap and hate stopping for gas on longer trips........the fewer the stops-the better. I like the K.I.S.S. principle

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

The less axles, the better for tolls if you live in the north east.

Newyork, StaccatoFan and britx303 like this.
  10. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

That too! Maryland to NJMP and back will cost a race entry

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Stupit tolls. I just got a $16 bill from NJ. I was just driving a little van.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Brit and Stick know. A trinaxle 5th wheel cost over $50 a toll one way to leave the NE. Now multiply that by 2-4 tolls if you live north of Wilmington De.

I currently sport a single axle trailer with an ac unit on it. When im alone, i sleep in it. When the wife accompanies me, i get a hotel.

13. Tas

Tas Well-Known Member

5 years ago, for the first 2 seasons I loaded up the back of my '97 Dakota with the SV and everything else needed to race with. I've rented a garage so I didn't need any of those items to setup or transport. Was fortunate to have my bother bring his 18' enclosed and then camper for living quarters and crew. The next 2 seasons I bought a cap for the truck and open utility trailer. Slept in the bed of the truck and load/unloaded the trailer every round, PIA. Then the Dakota had seen better days so I got a 2 year old Explored to tow and sleep in.

This year I just bought a new 6x12' enclosed trailer to make life easier. Pack everything in the trailer, no loading/unloading for every round and no worries if/when it rains. Before I would have to plan my departure (loading) according to the weather. Still plan on renting a garage although I could setup shop in the infield. Because of the Pandemic I've only used the enclosed once last week for a track day and life was so much better. I'm still getting organized and settled with the new setup.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh hell yeah. It is idiotic, the RV pulling a car gets charged the same as a damn semi truck. It would be cheaper to unhook the car before the toll booths....

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

16. DmanSlam

@RRP , yes I was looking at a trailer to "haul" originally.

@socalrider , I would tend to agree but that it's the slippery slope of upgrades: truck bed, open trailer, enclosed, etc. The cumulative costs of upgrades and trade-ups, if going that route, merit a look at toy haulers for the ultimate comparison. We can't assume that this is an expensive purchase for everyone.

I've posted quite a few noob questions so the impression of being a new rider/racer is merited by some. But that's not the case. As @mpusch wrote, I've been doing track days since the early 2000s and am back from a hiatus, divorced, with a free slate to pursue passions that were on hold.

I remember sleeping in the truck with a bike in the bed well... I've sleep in a uhaul trailer too. Not too comfy.

Everyone's requirements are different. A toy hauler satisfies a lot of them. I may ultimately decide not to go in that direction but it's something I am considering.

I tend to look at purchases in terms of investments and return-on-investments wherever I can. And that certainly would include a big ticket item as a toy hauler. So, therein lies the "over-thinking". Again, with a return on investment. Some may say that's not possible. I say it is.

socalrider likes this.
  17. DmanSlam

That sounds more expensive than a toy hauler.

18. DmanSlam

Mind posting a pic? I'm curious about the sleeping & storage arrangement.

19. DmanSlam

ducnut likes this.
  20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

If you’re coming up from the MD or VA areas to go to NJMP I encourage all to consider going on 50 over the Bay Bridge and up 301. It’s a much cheaper toll run than 95. You bypass all the ridiculous Maryland toll rapings.

DmanSlam, Ducti89 and britx303 like this.