1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle...

Discussion in 'General' started by Yamaha179, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

We are selling our motorhome and condensing our automobile inventory so I am looking for a vehicle to pull my Wells Cargo single axle trailer to the races. It usually carries two vintage Yamaha two-strokes and a moderate amount of tools and spares. I haven't weighted the trailer in a long time but the bikes weigh less than 300 lbs each so the load isn't too bad.

A friend, who works at a dealership, has recommended a Dodge Durango with a Hemi V8 and a trailer towing package. I test drove a Durango with a V6 but they didn't have a V8 on the lot and would have to order one. The literature says it would handle the gross and tongue weight I'd put on it but I am concerned about the height of the trailer and the "air dam" affect. (The trailer does have the WC fairing nose on it.) The nice thing is that this one vehicle would do for the family car also since we are both retired and only need one vehicle. Comments???
    Lyn Garland

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

ford F150 (any newer full size truck).. taller and if you get the loaded up crew cab certainly doesn't feel like a truck from the inside.

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Pickup and one of those raised camper shells to help direct wind over the trailer.

4. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

The Durango, large SUV with a V8? Im sure it can tow a single axle trailer just fine. The V6 is more than capable as well, but if you like to tow at 70-75mph through the mountains, the V8 will be easier.

I pulled a 6x12 (2 bikes) with a 04 Nissan Frontier v6, which is a pitiful v6, and it did just fine. The Durango is probably about the same height. After 166k miles on that truck though, I did upgrade to a new Silverado.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

He's concerned about the 2+ feet of trailer that will be sticking up above the top of the Durango. That drag puts some serious strain on the tow vehicle and makes for an unpleasant towing experience.

6. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

I understand your point, but we're not talking a small car here, the Durango is a very large vehicle. Something such as the Durango is going to put the air higher than a pickup would and everyone tows fine with pickups. The air is flowing just over the top of the tailgate on a pickup, whereas on a SUV, it's got a much higher path. The camper shell on the truck would help with a similar route to the Durango, but negate the passenger space of a SUV vs. a truck.

If the tow vehicle is 95% family vehicle use, and just used to tow a trailer a few weekends a year, something like the Durango should be fully capable is what I'm saying. I chose the truck route personally, because I need/like the cargo carrying of a truck bed, but some people need/like 3rd row seating.

7. socal

socal Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You will be fine. This is my 2013 Dodge Durango with a hemi V8 plus tow package towing a 7 x 14 tandam axle Interstate trailer. The trailer overall height is 8'9". Durango Suspension is self leveling. Plenty of power. Great vehicle.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  8. bfkidd

bfkidd Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the new Diesel offering they are putting in the Ram trucks and the Grand Cherokee. It's a fiat sourced engine.

The hemi is dead nuts reliable but no matter what it will never get over 22mpg empty on the highway. Trailering, well you know.

The diesel may show up in the Durango for 2016.

9. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Guys:
    Thanx for the replies. Ben, I am currently using a Ford 150 Ecco Boost when I'm not using the motorhome and like it very much, but, my wife has just had a knee replacement and has mobility problems that are exacerbated by the height of the 150's seat. The Durango's seat is lower (as is the Tahoe and the Yukon) but the GM and Ford products are more expensive.
    Lyn Garland

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Grand Cherokee/Durango...kinda the same boat but the Grand is less truck-like in the comfy dept.

11. rhouck

rhouck wat?

Unpleasant? I was worried about trailer height but found it be somewhat overrated. Currently towing a wells cargo vnose 8x16 tandem with 8' interior (10' exterior) with a 2001 1500 suburban. It is far taller than the tow vehicle. The only places it struggles is the big mountains we have out here, but "struggles" means "slow down to the posted tow limit". Gas mileage sucks as to be expected, but averages 10mpg including the elevation and 75 mph cruising on flat ground. I would prefer a diesel for the elevation climbs, but I haven't been in a rush as even my baby gasser suburban has been doing alright.

Tl;dr don't worry too much about the trailer height. It's not going to make or break you when towing with an SUV.

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

My neighbor put one of those big-ass wings on the roof of his Ram 3500 CrewCab. For his money and trouble, he got a tenth of a MPG more...

13. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

No matter what you tow with, 80% of the drag is going to be caused by the big flat rear end of the trailer. Unless you're towing full time, 30 or 40 thousand miles a year...buy a car/truck that you like that is rated for the trailer and just suck it up in lousy mileage when you are towing, it's just a fact of life.
    Example: you tow 10,000 miles a year. One vehicle gets 10 mpg towing and the other gets 11 mpg. Gas costs $3/gallon but you LIKE the 10mpg vehicle. The vehicle you like will cost you $327 more a year in extra gas....

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Have you considered a Fiat?

15. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have a 2013 F150 with the ecoboost. It's the crew cab version. It has more room than any other truck I have owned and the ecoboost motor is a beast when it comes to pulling. Don't believe the hype at the dealership when it come to fuel mileage though, I'm only averaging 17 mpg.

16. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Our team has used an F150 4-door with the 5.0 towing a tandem axle 7x16 and a diesel sprinter without the trailer.

The sprinter gets 18 mpg at 75 mph. The truck gets 12ish, but is a much nicer place to ride. Either would get 4 more mpg if we slowed down...

For a daily driver, I wouldn't choose either. Grand Cherokee or Durango both seem like fine options if a gasser is the preferred route.