1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Apr 7, 2019.

1. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Tons of good info here. Thanks all. I’ll be completely honest, I don’t have a clue what I want. I’ll be heading out and test driving this weekend.

Saw a Jeep SRT this week and now I’m mesmerized on them. Too many choices! I will keep you guys posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

I'm sure there is improvement in safety but all those vehicles came with drivers, passengers, curtain airbags, accident tension seatbelts...
    BTW he is planning on towing not being in crash derby.:D

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

fairly sure accidents happen accidentally and people are not usually looking for one

4. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Looks the same type of damage to me, they also hit two different barriers so you're going to have to different accidents.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Are you really the type of person who thinks current vehicles aren't safer than 20 year old vehicles or do you just like to argue when you're bored?

ducnut and BigBird like this.
  6. Trunxgp1224

The two videos show the crash test dummy hitting the bags in the same way. One rolled because it didn't hit a flat surface and the other one did. But as for the occupant impact they hit the bag the same. So what made one safer than the other?

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I didn't say a word about the videos, I asked you a question and you ignored it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kinda answers your question though doesn't it? :crackup:

9. BigBird

BigBird blah

maybe they just don't build them like them used to :crackup:

thankfully :)

ducnut likes this.
  10. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

After driving an f150 and ram1500 I just started researching the ranger lariat, you can get it with a tow package. I'm curious how much a 6x12 with two bikes and everything would push it around? It has rating for it, but I don't want to be wore out after fighting a trailer for 8 hours driving to the track. Would love a truck that size since commuting and parking in the city sucks with my ram crew 6'4" bed.

11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Go drive one. The sightlines don’t look great with it or the Canyon/Colorado. They may be a bit smaller, but the tall bed sides and thick pillars don’t look very user friendly for someone needing to park in tight confines.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Living inside the beltway in Northern VA, I will say again I love my Touareg TDI for close in suburb / city living and towing duty. It tows my 6x12 well as I have previously stated. The stability control knows when you are towing and handles any sway before you even feel it. Trailer brakes are a must for a 6x12 no matter what the tow vehicle short of a HD pickup. The gas V6 Touareg is fine, but will work fairly hard when towing so factor in mountains and your desired tow speed. The V8 or turbo V6 Cayenne would be better for towing if you don't want a diesel and don't care how much fuel you burn, but maintenance is fairly expensive on any of these options. It is easier to park than my wife's Acura TLX sedan due to the tighter turning radius. There are almost no garages it won't go into. A fair number of of them around here have a 6' to 6'6" clearance, so don't try that with a full sized truck. Also if you want the TDI you are buying used, but a 2016 will put you right in the price range of that Ranger.

A Colorado, Canyon or Ranger would be just fine for towing a 6x12 as well, but less friendly in the city.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I heard that the Touareg TDI is basically a diesel Cayenne with a different outfit. Built in the same factory, same engine, same pretty much everything. They are very nice indeed.

14. Trunxgp1224

You quoted my post referencing the videos, why would I not think you're talking about the videos?

15. 2blueYam

Mechanically the suspension is a bit better on the Cayenne and it has a little less cargo space. You can even get the air suspension on the Cayenne.

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

17. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Whaddaya mean I still have to pay attention with adaptive cruise control?!?

BigBird and thrak410 like this.
  18. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

it's what i've been using for years to tow my 6x12

BigBird likes this.
  19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Idiots.

Even with a WD hitch that Porsche was nothing but overloaded. It's crazy to me how people think this setup would be safe.

Knotcher and Phl218 like this.
  20. 2blueYam

I have heard of folks with 100k miles of towing with 7k lbs and 24’ long behind Tregs and Cayennes. Personally I wouldn’t go over 5000lb and 600lb tongue weight with mine. That can get you into a fairly nice two person travel trailer. Most toy haulers won’t work because they usually go over 600lb tongue weight when you don’t have a bike or two behind the axle(s) to balance things.