1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow Vehicle Discussion

Discussion in 'General' started by AC792, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

In parts of San Francisco maybe

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

TurboBlew and Ducti89 like this.
  3. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wow... and those folks are licensed to share the road with other motorists? Hopefully they are all riding Jitney buses now...lol
    I like how the posters towing nowhere near the weight limit say "Oh its fine @ 70 mph with the air on and weaving in/out of traffic...lol"

Phl218 likes this.
  5. Hotfoot

Hotfoot Well-Known Member

Since I haven't seen anyone else mention this - watch out for loaded, luxurious Lincoln Navigators or Expeditions for a super-low price - I hear the air ride suspensions on those can develop a leak and strand you, and also get expensive and/or troublesome to fix. Not sure the year range that had issues, but I remember seeing some at great prices a few years ago and looking into it, and reading a lot of recommendations to stay away.

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

Only thing that goes bad on the Porsche air suspension is an O-ring in the air pump which is a buck 50.

7. AC792

AC792 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! Anyone have experience/thoughts in the X5 35d (diesel)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

These are super nice and will run forever. I wanted that for the wife’s SUV, but we ended up with a V6 AWD Kia Sorento instead. I have no complaints, and it was almost $10k cheaper.

9. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Wanted a diesel X5, but finding one second-hand with a tow package proved impossible at the time, so bought a diesel Q7 instead.

Had a 2012 diesel Touareg (same engine as Q7) before that, and man, I miss that car. 100k+ miles on it with zero issues. It’s got massive brakes, something I’ve noticed is always weak on big American cars. Even when towing, it stopped really well. And before a Malone tune, plenty of hustle for what is a 5600 lbs. car. Goes good over the hump, through the esses and down to the bus stop really well at Grattan, too. ;)

Great car, but that buy-back cash was just too good to hold onto it.

vfrket likes this.
  10. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

FYI The GM Guru that does all the deactivations for me post repair on the DOD stuff said the problems are fixed on the DI engines when I inquired about turning it off on my 6.2 truck. We shall see.

I agree about any FWD pulling a traileron a regular basis. Especially the Honda Nad Acura stuff. They need serviced often enough without dragging anything around...

ducnut likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Not all Hondas/Acuras are FWD.

The AWD Pilot and MDX can tow 5k lbs.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

They’re FWD-based. My GF’s Ridgeline “4WD” (Pilot platform) runs on FWD and transfers power, as needed. It has a transaxle, just like a FWD vehicle.

13. BigBird

BigBird blah

has the driveline blown up towing a 6x10 trailer?

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That 6.2L is a hell of an engine.

My ‘06 Silverado has an L59 5.3L (non-DOD). Despite religiously changing the oil every 6K miles, full-synthetic, and Wix filters, it’s had a lifter failure at 99K miles. I need to pull the intake and heads to see just how bad it is. I’m hoping it’s not a roller failure and the lifter has just collapsed. I really don’t feel like changing the cam in this thing. Ugh!

15. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

We don’t tow with it. I use my Silverado for that.

Manufacturers always use weight for their tow ratings. What that doesn’t take into account is wind resistance. A box trailer puts an awful lot of load on the vehicle, which exponentially increases as speed increases, anytime it’s rolling. That’s a continuous load that will overheat drivelines, regardless of the manufacturer’s rating. At 80K pounds, a semi-truck requires very little fuel to maintain speed on flat ground. But, throw in a headwind (wind resistance) and coolant temp, engine and driveline oil temps, and fuel usage all increase. Increased fuel usage, such as when towing, means increased BTU’s throughout the vehicle. The wind resistance of a 6’X12’ box trailer will cause the same, regardless of terrain.

16. turner38

Yes they are, some of them include a auxillary shaft and rear diff that is primarily for snow use. Offers very little drive force through the viscous coupling they use. When in 2wd they drive off the front wheels and when in four wheel drive the front wheels are still doing the majority of the work.

vfrket and ducnut like this.
  17. turner38

Seen very few failures in the non DOD stuff. The 2005 we raced out of last year was a 5.3 truck that had 300k on it when I sold it.

The 6.2 is a very inpressive engine. Have seen as high as 23MPG out of it when traveling on rural back roads where the speed stays under 60MPH.
    It got 11MPG pulling the 22’ trailer loaded to the gills to Road Atlanta last weekend and pulls it great. Probably 7500-8500 pounds...

ducnut likes this.
  18. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

They are not 2 or 4 wd The second gens are FWD or AWD with no selection other than situation modes. Big difference in towing capacity between the AWD and FWD versions as well. Ours had zero issues towing a 3k lb trailer and got better mileage doing it than my 5.3 Silverado.

BigBird likes this.
  19. BigBird

BigBird blah

and just like that you silenced the dually diesel talk and how "FWD" Hondas are trash at towing.

You got violated today and you violated the rest of the pickup/SUV crowd :crackup:

20. turner38

Its still a FWD vehicle, have a front axle fail and see how well it gets around....
    Pulling a enclosed trailer with one is like going all in on a small pair, you may get by with it from time to time, but it aint very smart.