1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France thread

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I wouldn't take the times as incontrovertible proof that they're all juicing. A lot of factors go into those
    times besides raw power/weight ratios. I don't know if Froome is clean, but I think it certainly possible these days. The most doping controls and sanctions can do is alter the cost benefit calculus to athletes such that doping isn't worth it. They can't catch all dopers. I think the bio passport and other techniques have swung the balance in favor of the clean athlete. Some will still juice, but I do think it's possible to race clean and win now. Doping is only the tip of the iceberg considering where technology is going. Lance and his EPO will look downright quaint in a few years. I don't think more esoteric technology is yet so advanced that these guys are using it. This is probably a golden age for clean competition. Cycling as especially the Tour were always dirty. In the old days the cheating was even more blatant, fishing line on cars, dudes getting rides etc.

vizsladog likes this.
  2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Wtf?

vizsladog likes this.
  3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Exactly.

vizsladog likes this.
  4. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

5. rwdfun

rwdfun

Spoiler alert! :D

6. cha0s#242

He remounted after that bad crash and gave it a try. Take that, soccer players.

cajun636 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  7. bigtime

bigtime Well-Known Member

Yeah those guys are tough

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I haven’t been watching like I normally do this year. I usually try to follow so see where the Americans are.

9. rwdfun

rwdfun

Glad he’s OK but he must ride a Harley. Typical real wheel panic lock.

cajun636 likes this.
  10. cha0s#242

Correction, Philippe Gilbert actually finished the stage (with 60 kms left) and called it quits an hour and a half after he was done. Respect.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    GixxerBlade likes this.
  11. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

DVR it and watch it every night.

12. noeyes

noeyes Well-Known Member

just saw the Gilbert crash. I thought the camera bike was gonna go in behind him.

13. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I felt for Sugar Bear (as my wife calls him). It was a hard tumble. I'm sure he was injured but manned up and finished anyway. He was only about 8km away from the finish anyway. I wish he would've won.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    cha0s#242 likes this.
  14. Used2Bfast 2

Used2Bfast 2 Still in the saddle

When i raced xc, endurance, enduro mtbs from 03 to 014, some of my peers were absolutely doing illegal performance enhancing chit.

cajun636 likes this.
  15. speedluvn

It started yesterday. Anyone watching today’s team time trial?

16. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Got the DVR set.

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I watched some of it. Decades ago I raced USCF racing- Cat. 2. I did a few Natl Prestige Classics too. Never close to a podium finish on a big stage race though.

18. cha0s#242

We have a Quebecer in the tour this year. Hugo Houle is a domestique for Jacob Fulgsang (Astana). It must have been a major bummer when Fulgsang crashed on the very first day. He remounted, but the time they lost, they'll probably never be able to make up. Houle must have been like "here goes 3 weeks of pain and suffering for absolutely nothing". Fack !

K51000 likes this.
  19. speedluvn

If he’s a domestique he’s not there to win the tour. He and his teammates are there to support the lead rider/s and possibly try to get into breakaways and get a stage win.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

But his role as domestique helps secure Fulsgang's win (in theory). If Fulsgang is far enough behind already, then Houle's ride will be a lot of pain for not much reward. Hopefully Fulsgang is far enough behind that the team will release the others to go for stage wins.

cha0s#242 and speedluvn like this.